Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

curve 8330 - phonejack keeps cutting out

Hi: This is my seconde Curve 8330 and both have the same problem; while listening to a media file (podcast) or talking on the phone using the earbuds, the phone or media file (podcast) will cut in and out.  That is, when it cuts out the sound then comes thru the phone speaker. I can listen for maybe a hour or so and then the cutting in and out will happen for a couple of minutes.  This will happen also when using a FM receiver in the car.  I just purchased a new earphone set so it's not the earphone's problem; it's not the media player's problem becuase it will occur will answering a phone call.  Any suggestings?

Thanks,

gcroford 

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: curve 8330 - phonejack keeps cutting out

Hi and welcome to the forums!

1) Were the new headphones and the old headphones the same model?

The reason I ask I tried three sets of the OEM Blackberry earbuds and they

all cut out on me. It finally dawned on me to compare the jacks to an older

set I had. Sure enough the jacks were not fitting correctly. The older head set

had a slightly thicker jack that had to be firmly pushed in and removed.

2) I noticed you said you could listen for about an hour, and then the sound will

cut off and on. Also cuts out on the FM receiver.

As soon as it starts cutting out, go to options status, note the amount of memory in file free

and the battery level and -dbm levels. I think logging this info at least 5 times will provide enough

data.

3) After you log the data type the word test on the status screen. There isn't a data entry field for it

this is a diagnostic test. Use the menu key to start the test and in the test configuration screen

I would select all the audio categories as well as the RF components. This test will generate a log

file providing the status of the components tested. This file can be saved or emailed when working

with techs from the carrier or RIM.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

Hi Bifocals:

I'm new to BB - where do I find 'options status'?

Thanks,

gcroford 

Guru I

Hi,

At the main home screen press menu twice, once you have all your Icons look for options, it may look like an wrench

or a set of mini levers. Just roll over each icon and it will say status. Then click on it, and you will see a list of options

scroll down to status and click on it.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor

I have the same issue, new headset too.

When running the tests, and when you get to the headset insert test, when I first put the jack into the BB, the display shows that it detected that the headset was inserted, but then showed it being removed, when it wasn't.  Basically it's incorrectly detecting that the headset is removed.

Doesn't do it every time though, and it detects the mute button on the headset fine (click/unclick).

This may explain it, the sensor is falsely thinking you're removing the headset.   Faulty sensor, too sensitive, code issue?

New Contributor

Good morning:

Thanks for the info.  Is there any work-around for this problem or fix from RIM?

Thanks,

gcroford 

New Contributor

Why is this being marked as Solved?  

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH505), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

PositiveG wrote:

Why is this being marked as Solved?  

Because the original poster marked it as such. If you have a new issue, you should probably open a new thread so that it can be separately handled.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

HI:

What I meant to make as "solved" was 'Bifocial's' info how to find  'status' in 'options' 

Guru I

[ Edited ]

Hi sgardne and PositveG and gcroford,

I think in this case, as we have the testing data all printed out, we can continue to work in this thread.

If we start in impinge on the origninal posters issues, I suggest a seperation then.

That alright with everybody?

Thanks,

Bifocals

Message Edited by Bifocals on 06-12-2009 12:17 PM