Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: t-mobile pre pay

curve 9300 won't play recorded video, error message

[ Edited ]

I am new to BB, have a new 9300.I  recorded a 2 minute video with the BB without issues but  when I tried to play it back, I received the message 'the media being played is of an unsupported format'.,The recorded video has a .3gp file extension, rather than an mp4, why? .3gp is not listed as a supported video file.  the media card is a 32gb sdhc card I just formatted and saved music and pictures to without problems. What is happening here? Is the phone recording in a format that is cannot play? Can the video recording format be changed, say to mp4? I have no problems playing you tube videos etc., its only the recorded videos.

There is a demo video on the phone in mp4 and it plays fine. Will appreciate your advice. Anne

PS  I just shot another 30sec video and the phone completely froze when I tried to play it.  Took out battery to get it going again. Still receiving  the same message.

INFO: phone says: v.5.0.0846. Platform6.3.039   Please assist.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Curve 8520 OS v5.0.0.681
My Carrier: Orange UK

Re: curve 9300 won't play recorded video, error message

Do you have "content protection" enabled on your Media Card? Look at Options > Security > General Settings > Content Protection.

And look at Options > Memory > Encryption Mode.

Disable any encrytion on the card.

If you haven't already done so, do a powered-on battery pull and leave it out for a couple of minutes or so.

Blackberry Best Advice - Back-up weekly

If I have helped you please check the "Kudos" star on the right >>>>
New Contributor

Tthank you, i did both of your suggestions, no change, the message is still there. Memory card content  is not encrypted.  I'm wondering if there is anything I could re-install to help this?  I installed blackberry user tools just prior to taking the video and when I attached the phone, there were some downloads I clicked to install  I am  not sure what they were  if they  were right for my phone? Where can I see what operating system and software version I have? Should I reinstall? I would appreciate other suggestions to help this. Anne

New Contributor

I saw in the tech support forums that the issue I ran into was already  known and reported with the BB storm 9530 prior to 12/2008. (article KB17020) There is no solution posted online and I'd hate  to think that this problem may not have been addressed and is an issue with the 9300? The 'workaround solution suggested for the 9530 does not work with the 9300. Taking and playing videos with my phone is very important to me and I am really trying to find a solution. Sadly, I may need to sell the phone if this is an unaddressed issue.' Will appreciate input. Anne

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Curve 8520 OS v5.0.0.681
My Carrier: Orange UK

Auntieannie2 wrote:

________________________________________________________________________________

Where can I see what operating system and software version I have?

________________________________________________________________________________

Options>About

Blackberry Best Advice - Back-up weekly

If I have helped you please check the "Kudos" star on the right >>>>
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you, I reinstalled the software and am now able to play the videos I record, but now  I constantly receive error messages ( "media card has errors that need to be repaired" )after I download media to the card and disconnec the phone from the laptop. When I click on ' repair' I get a message saying the card is repaired but  my downloaded pictures and music on the media card don't show up any longer. So I checked the card by  reformatting it (32gb and class 2) and tried it in a blackberry 8520. It works just fine, no problems loading pictures, music, videos and playing them back. I just don't know what I'm missing here on the 9300. Ideas will be appreciated.  Thank you, Anne

New Contributor

I can play videos I recorded myself, but I still cannot play videos I imported to the microsc card. I convert them to a 264 and mp4 file system but I continuosly receive the message 'wrong format'. Does anyone have a solution to this? Anne