Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

disadvantages to me buying iphone and wife buying blackberry?

I want a new iphone, my wife wants a blackberry bold 9700.

Other than the use of Blackberry messenger, what disadvanteges would there be vs having two blackberries?

Should I care if I can't use BBM, if I can just use MSN messenger or something like it to communicate accross the two platforms?

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: disadvantages to me buying iphone and wife buying blackberry?

I m with u buddy, i already bought Bold 9700 but i wanted Iphone 3gs.

yea i think if only BBM is the reason then go with iphone n use msn messenger...i m gona give Bold back n get Iphone more Apps and bigger screen, on down thing abt iphone is the keyboard. But once u start using it u get use to it....

btw ur wifes Bold 9700 whos the service provider....

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700

I'm currently using both phones so I am a perfect one to describe the benefits of each to you.

I've been using the iPhone 3G and 3GS since January.  The BB Bold 9700 I just purchased last Thursday (Nov. 5/2009).

Benefits of the iPhone 3GS:

- Large Screen

- Tons of Useful, Fun Apps and Games

- Best in Class Web Browser

- Best in Class Media Organization and Player (but only supports limited formats, JPEG / MOV / H.264 Mpeg4 / MP3 / AAC and some others)

- Better maps applications (Google Maps is far better/faster on iPhone than BlackBerry)

Benefits of BB Bold 9700:

- QWERTY keypad is better than touch QWERTY on iPhone

- BBM Support

- Better MSN Application

- Better Voice Call Quality

- Bit Better E-Mail integration

- Bit Better Battery Life Talk and Standby

- Has Phone Profiles (Normal/Loud/Silent/Vibrate/Custom etc..)

So in light of these features, choose whichever suits your needs.  If you want a smartphone that has excellent messaging & email capabilities, call quality and full QWERTY keypad go with the Blackberry.  If you prefer something that plays music, games, and is more like a small computer than a phone, go with the iPhone 3GS.

I think the Blackberry is a PHONE first and the iPhone puts all the other computer like applications first and the phone second.  I love my BB for messaging and calls but for web browsing, youtube, games, applications and music, I pull out the iPhone 3GS.

Contributor

@ Dhrumin

I wouldn't trade in the BlackBerry yet, just take a look at what I wrote above and see what features are more important to you.

I can tell you, I prefer my BlackBerry 9700 for calls, texts and instant messaging with BBM and Windows Live Messenger.

For web browsing, music, videos and applications I use my iPhone.

If BlackBerry could just make a better browser, media application (with podcast streams/divx support/mkv HD support) and more applications in the BB app world (allow for 99 cents to $1.99) then I would definitely prefer the BlackBerry (the screen size doesn't bug me too much).

Oh and RIM, PLEASE FIX YOUR BROWSER with YOUTUBE for the Bold 9700 OS v. 5.0.0.344!

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 + 64GB MicroSD
My Carrier: Rogers

First off, it appears your scenario is either fictional or vary rare... Every couple I know or have heard of usually has the wife wanting the iPhone and the husband wanting the BlackBerry.

The debate vibe I get in my circles sums it this way;

• the BlackBerry is macho vs. the iPhone is feminine
  • the BlackBerry means business vs. the iPhone is a toy/entertainment
  • the BlackBerry is cool technology vs. the iPhone is trendy
  • the BlackBerry needs tinkering vs. the iPhone works as defined by apple

The main disadvantage I can think of is your marriage! Buying the same device makes helping each other much easier... and will promote bonding. Having one of each in your family will only fuel conflict! Buy the same device and have a happy life!

my 2 cents

peace and love
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

Newpunk, RIM announced that they are transitioning the browser to WebKit (the same thing that Google Chrome, Apple Safari (including iPhone version), and Opera use) so it will work much better and faster.

They will also have Adobe Flash support in 2010 (wish it would be sooner but at least its official and has a general release time frame).

YouTube is already supported (I have a Storm but I don't think it would change).

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

rcmaniac25, WebKit looks very promising!  As an iPhone/BlackBerry hybrid user at the moment I can tell you the BB Browser or even Opera 5 mini for BB are decades behind the iPhone Safari browser!

Adobe flash support isn't that important as HTML5 content will be in the near future.

The iPhone has excellent software support for the PC/Mac as well as on the unit itself.

My advice for RIM to help improve their market share for the casual user of smartphones (the ones that are deciding between a BlackBerry and iPhone); Improve your device software and desktop computer software, improve the media player interface, and improve the web browser experience.

After the development event held by RIM the other day, I can see that they are aiming to take back some market share lost to the iPhone, Android phones and Windows Mobile devices (among others).  This is a good step, but if RIM doesn't update their product software and 'image' they may be falling behind!

With that all said, I do love my new BlackBerry Bold 9700 tho Smiley Happy  However, given my situation, I still use my iPhone more than it.

Oh, and YouTube is "supported" with the Bold 9700, but it's broken on the latest OS software on the device... *fingers crossed they fix it*

Developer
My Device: Z10 (STL100-4)-10.3.2.858, Z10 (STL100-3)-10.3.1.2576, Z30 (STA100-5)-10.3.1.2582, Passport (SQW100-1)-10.3.1.2576, PlayBook (16GB)-2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: Verizon

HTML5 is partially supported in WebKit so it will have support for it. The BlackBerry Desktop Manager has PC and Mac support but they need to make it a little sleeker. One thing that RIM said they were looking into was better app management and the ability to purchase apps from the Desktop Manager.

One of the hardest parts for RIM is everyone compares the Blackberries to the iPhone in terms of UI and that is (in my opinion) the only thing that Apple really knows how to do. Apple is also very good at patenting anything they do, so many say "why can't RIM have {touch gesture here} in the {RIM app here}." The reason that RIM can't do that is Apple patented the gestures that can be used and RIM doesn't want to get into legal arguments. There are certain ones that are so general that they can't be patented (such as "swipe" and "tap" and various other gestures).

Quality comes with time so give RIM some time and the tools and "fixes" will come.

While I am on this little tangent. It drives me nuts when people complain about how the BlackBerry doesn't have many apps but the thing is when the BlackBerry came out it didn't have a store so people came up with there own app stores, apps, etc. and put them on there own sites and other stores. When Apple came out with the iPhone they said everything must go through the App Store so everyone says they have more apps when really they are just more focused. If Apple would allow apps outside the App Store there would probably be a huge amount that no one ever heard of that suddenly appear. If RIM would get rid of the fee to submit apps to the App World then many of those apps would probably appear and quickly catch up with the number of apps on the App Store.

I would go on but I'm not trying to write a book on my own opinions.

---Spends time in #blackberrydev on freenode (IRC)----
Three simple rules:
1. Please use the search bar before making new posts.
2. "Like" posts that you find helpful.
3. If a solution has been found for your post, mark it as solved.
--I code too much. Well, too bad.