Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9700

downgrade from OS6

To start with, I'm not a whiz kid when it comes to blackberrys. My desktop software said there was an update, so I updated my blackberry from the latest OS5 to OS6.
Big mistake.
I know have barely any storage space (18MB to be exact) and I only have 7 apps, the highest needing 1.7MB
I'd like to downgrade back to the OS5 before the OS6, but I tried yesterday and it never worked. I deleted the desktop software and reinstalled using the CD I got with my blackberry. Yet when I "updated" my phone it was still at OS6.
I scoured forum after forum looking for a solution to this and none of them worked. I tried downloading software from the blackberry website but my laptop didn't even recognise the file. I'm really struggling with what to do and I'd be most grateful if anyone could help at all Smiley Sad
My phone was originally on 3 but I got it unlocked and its now using an O2-UK sim card.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: downgrade from OS6

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

An old saying...

• The best device for anyone is the one they become the most used to

I might venture to guess that if you give yourself time, you might grow to like it.

But, if you insist, from a PC, you can install any OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload", it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. You can even use a different carriers OS package by simply inserting, between steps 1 and 2, the deletion, on your PC, of a file named VENDOR.XML. Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know! Please be specific and detailed in your response if something does not work as expected.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

i've tried about 4 times, but my laptop doesn't recognise the software files, as i said.

and i deleted my desktop software that contained OS6, and reloaded the CD that i got with my blackberry, which contained the first OS5 version, yet when i loaded my blackberry it still contained the OS6 software.

i've no idea what to do and i only have 9.7MB left of application software on my blackberry now, i've no idea why it keeps deteriorating and if it's due to having OS6 then i no longer want it, i preferred OS5 anyway.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

smileangel wrote:

i've tried about 4 times, but my laptop doesn't recognise the software files, as i said.

Sorry...that is to vague to interpret...you will need to be more specific. What files, exactly? How exactly does it not "recognize" them? Details, please, to keep us from guessing...

smileangel wrote:

and i deleted my desktop software that contained OS6, and reloaded the CD that i got with my blackberry, which contained the first OS5 version

You misunderstand how it works. By itself, the Desktop Software contains nothing about your BB. The OS package is a separate download/install (to your PC) from the Desktop Software.

Please try the above instructions again...carefully this time. And, when you report back, please have exact error messages, steps within the process where things went wrong, etc. We can't really help you with only vague statements to go on...you must be our eyes, ears, and hands...we need you to report back with details and specifics if we are going to be able to help you at this internet distance.

Good luck and let us know!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

i re-did the instructions exactly, and my blackberry is the exact same as before i tried to downgrade it.

and by software not being recognised i meant when you go to http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp. and you have to select which operating system, when i download it and try to open the file my laptop does not recognise it.

i'm not an expert on blackberrys. i had to read the instructions about 6 times because they're mostly gobbledegook to me.

Hall of Famer III

Here's my point, for illustration:

smileangel wrote:

and by software not being recognised i meant when you go to http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp. and you have to select which operating system, when i download it and try to open the file my laptop does not recognise it.

I've never seen a computer give such an error message. The exact syntax of error messages is crucial...there can be thousands, so not knowing it means we have to guess. And guessing gets us nowhere.