Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

duplicate contacts showing up on blackberry.

Hi all!

Im new here so please bear with me...

I have a user who just received a new laptop - installed with Desktop Manager 4.2. She can sync just fine, but apparently she has duplicate contacts showing up in her blackberry device now. She wants to know how to remove the duplicated entries from her device. 

Any help is greatly appreciated as i am pretty new at supporting blackberry devices.

Thanks in advance! Smiley Happy

~nicholas 

Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: duplicate contacts showing up on blackberry.

Check the following knowledge base which might help you to get rid of the problem.

Contacts are duplicated on the handheld after wireless synchronization

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is the user also on Blackberry Enterprise Service?  If so, then they shouldn't use the Desktop Software.  Here's a link that explains how to get rid of the duplicates:

bluescreensolutions.blogspot.com/2009/12/duplicate-contacts-on-blackberry-using.html

EDIT: Link removed

My Device: Blackberry Storm
My Carrier: ATT

Try Contacts Cleaner - an app on Blackberry App World.  It's the only thing that seems to work.

My Device: curve
My Carrier: verizon

Thanks for the tip on Contacts Cleaner.  I checked it out and RIM actually chose them as the best Blackberry App alongside the Sierra Club App and a sports App by CBS.  Also, Berry Reporter recommends Contacts Cleaner.  Thanks again  for the recommendation.

My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I am having the same problem on my Bold 9700. In my case the problem started when I added a second e-mail address to receive e-mail from on my BB. The documentation indicates I can have many more e-mail addresses than two, so I don't know why this would be a problem. Very frustrating though as I had to go through 2,680 contacts in Outlook and delete all the duplicates that were put there by my two-way sync (That I now turned off) any assistance with this problem would be appreciated.

I haven't figured out how to fix the duplicate contacts, but I did figure of how to fix the duplicated calendar items. I find that if you delete facebook from your blackberry and restart it....then sync using the usb cable, a message will indicate that there is no data organizer and it will give you the option to write from your computer to your blackberry or vice versa. I chose to write from my computer to my black berry and voila...no duplicated calendar items. Whew! Now I just need to figure out about the contacts. 

I should also mention that I'm a mac user and I use mac address book. 

My Device: Storm2
My Carrier: Verizon

I'll second the praise for contact cleaner - took out 1301 duplicates for me in a bit under 10 minutes.  Best $3 buy ever!

New Contributor

Contact Cleaner is currently cleaning up 1474 dupiclate contacts!Smiley Happy

My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

My outlook and blackberry had multiple contacts that were duplicates and triplicates, plus contacts that would have some information in one entry and the rest in another.  I wasn’t able to find a solution anywhere until I stumbled upon this fix myself. This may seem like a long way around, but it was the only thing I was able to do that finally corrected the problem. You will need a Gmail account for this fix.

Step 1. Create a CSV file of your outlook contacts. (Here is a link on how to create a csv file http://email.about.com/od/outlooktips/qt/Export_Outlook_Contacts_to_CSV.htm).

Step 2. Import all your outlook contacts into your Gmail account using your newly created csv file. Gmail will then merge and/or delete any duplicates. At this point, you may want to go through the newly uploaded Gmail contact folder to verify all your duplicates have been removed.

Step 3. Once you’ve verified you no longer have any duplicates, create a csv file from your Gmail contacts. Make sure to save this file under a different name than the outlook csv file you created earlier, to avoid confusion later.

Step 4. Go back to outlook and delete all your contacts on outlook (To delete your contacts - open your contact list in outlook, click file, scroll down to select all, then when all your contacts are highlighted, right click on your mouse, scroll down to delete, and all the contacts will be deleted)

Step 5. Now that your outlook contact folder is empty, import your newly created Gmail contacts csv file to outlook. This step is the same as when you imported your contacts into Gmail. You know have a duplicate free contact list on outlook.

This last step is for those who also have those duplicates on their blackberries.  

Step 1. Open your desktop manager and connect your blackberry to your computer. Before going to step two, I recommend doing a full blackberry backup.

Step 2. Through your desktop manager, delete ONLY your blackberry address book.

Step 3. In desktop manager, synchronize your blackberry to your outlook. This step will upload your newly duplicate free outlook contact folder to your blackberry address book.

PROBLEM SOLVED!