Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

duplicate contacts, unable to delete duplicate contacts and other contacts deleted

[ Edited ]

Hi, I have a bb curve 8330, I installed the destop software for mac and it seemed to work except that now all of my contacts are gone except for one that has been duplicated 5 times. Now when I try to sync again it fails, and I'm not able to delete the duplicate contacts or edit them. Is there anyway to get rid of these duplicate contacts? I can manually enter my contacts again but I would really like to be able to delete these duplicates.

I have a Mac dual G5 running osx 10.5.8.1.

Device OS release - 4.5.0.169

Device Type/Model -  Blackberry 8330

Did you have a leaked version installed previously? No
What other syncing software did you install? None

Message Edited by sldowell on 10-08-2009 12:11 AM
Contributor

Re: duplicate contacts, unable to delete duplicate contacts and other contacts deleted

My favourite bit about your post is that no one from the Blackberry team or elsewhere has bothered to reply.  (I'm in the same boat as you and would really like a reliable answer.)
Highlighted
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: duplicate contacts, unable to delete duplicate contacts and other contacts deleted

Hello sldowell,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Do you currently have all of your contacts intact and up to date on your Mac Address Book?

If so you may want to try this:

*** Before completing these steps perform a full backup of your Mac Address Book and your BlackBerry.***

In Desktop Manager go to the "Device menu" and select "Clear Data."

In here choose selected data, check any of the Address Book Options listed and click clear. (Confirm the clear when prompted)

Up top click the "Device" menu once again and choose "Forget Device." (If using multiple devices select the PIN for the device you have cleared the Calendar from.)

Disconnect the BlackBerry and close the Desktop Manager then reopen it and reconnect.

Go into Address Book on Desktop Manager, set to 2 way sync.

Under "Advanced Settings" and check "Replace all contacts on this BlackBerry Device."

Test synchronization again and see if it transfers correctly.

If so, uncheck the option to "Replace all contacts on this BlackBerry Device" and test it again.

Let me know the results.

-FB

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click "Accept as a Solution" for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Hi Fozzy, thanks for that information. I did try something like that before your reply but I don't think I did it exactly the way you described and it gave me an error that it was synced with an outside device or something like that. Eventually I did a master reset which got rid of the duplicates and then I resynced with the destop software to get my addresses, calendars and music back. So far so good. If it happens again I will try doing the steps you gave in this post. Thanks. 

Retired

I suspect there was an issue with the Address Book database on the BlackBerry and the wipe of the device may have corrected it for you.

Thanks for following up.

-FB

New Contributor

Hi Fozzy Bear-

I just tried this and it is still not working for me.  The address book is not in my list of applications in DM, but I have almost 1300 contacts on my phone.  Is there a reason why it can't see those contacts?

Any help you have would be great- this has been frustrating me for a week!

Thanks! 

Retired

[ Edited ]

Posted in your original thread:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=blackberryformac&message.id=3195&jump...

Cheers,

Message Edited by FozzyBear on 10-09-2009 05:13 PM

-FB

New Contributor

Hi Fozzy-

Everything is configured correctly in Entourage- that is why I am frustrated, as it still won't work.

Any other suggestions would be awesome!

Thanks!  

Retired

Check your PM inbox.

Thanks,

-FB

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello

I could not find my contacts in the clear list.Could it be called something else. What I did find is "Handheld Agent", this is grayed out and cannot be deleted. This is the only item that has a high record number. Should I just Clear everything on the Storm and start over again?

I am using Apple Mail if this matters. 

Rick 

Message Edited by RickSilva on 10-13-2009 11:19 PM
Message Edited by RickSilva on 10-13-2009 11:31 PM