Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

e-mail setup for aliased ID

New BB user from iPhone. An annoyance with e-mail set up in both platforms is that it demands I give it a valid e-mail address and password.

My situation is that my primary e-mail ID is myfirstname@mylastname.com. I created that domain and it has no POP servers. I have a verizon.net account that actually provides mail but to the world I'm known as myfirstname@mylastname.com.

Ideally, I'd set up my account (which works in Thunderbird, iMail, and iPhone mail) as:

- e-mail ID: myfirstname@mylastname.com

- logon id: myactualverizonID

- password: myverizonPW

- mail servers: verison.net's servers

When I send people mail, they see it as from myfirstname@mylastname.com and when they reply, it comes to that address (it gets forwarded automatically to verizon.net.) It all works well but there seems to be no way to set this up with the BlackBerry.

Any ideas? Sorry if I didn't see this anywhere. 'm at the beginning of the BB learning curve and have a lot to figure out!

Thank you,

Frank

New Contributor

Re: e-mail setup for aliased ID

Wekl after some research it seems that support for e-mail aliases has been a long standing requirement that's been left unsupported.

I don't need a bunch of aliases; I'm happy to create an account per alias. It could be easilly resolved by not forcing me to enter a legitimate e-mail address and password to define an account.

I'm in a 30 day period in which I can return the Torch to AT&T ($35 restocking fee for the oppty to play around with it.) I'd like to Torch to work out but the alias thing could be a deal breaker.

Any ideas appreciated,

Frank

Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: e-mail setup for aliased ID

Do RIM people monitor these forums or do I need to track down their requirements process to request a button on the e-mail set-up error dialog that pops up when I try to define an ID and password that doesn't exist? The new button would let me approve continuing the account definition process regardless of whether my Torch thinks I should or not. If it gets to the point where I give it incorrect login information to fetch or send e-mail, then the OS can slap my hands. I guess the problem is it's pre-determined that the only possible authentication is via e-mail address and password; that's not always true.

Like I said, iPhone allows it as do Thunderbird and Outlook; it's an easty fix.

Frank