Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

eMail control - Storm vs Desktop

New to forum.  Hello.  I have a new Storm, replacing the Windows based Motorola Q.

So far, so good.  However, I am having trouble understanding how the eMail program works.

I have 3 POP accounts on my desktop.  I have it set so that the desktop is King.  No matter what, ALL emails will come there, as they are set to delete from the internet provider server only by the desktop.

When Outlook is running on the desktop, the desktop takes in all email and none go to the device.  Works that way for the Q and the Storm.  No problem.

When Outlook is not running, emails come to the device and then come into the desktop later, since they stay on the provider server.

Now...the problem...on the Q, the emails that came in when the desktop was off disappeared and deleted as if they never arrived, whether i read them on the device or not.  With the Storm, they do not disappear or delete or even show a read.

This is causing me to have to go back in and read emails that I have already read on the desktop.

Another issue with email is the ability to delete the eMails without a prompt each time.  There is a setting to control that, but it only works for one email and the SMS program, not all message accounts.

Finally, and kind of the same subject, when I get a voice mail, SMS list shows an unheard voice mail on the list.  if I get 2,3 or more voice mails, I get that number of unheard voice mails on the list.  None of them disappear when I listen to my voice mail.  That means I have to go in and manually delete each item on the list so that the prompt disappears from the phone alerting me to a voice mail that I really don't have.

Oh..one other thing that I just discovered...this thing seems to be on it's own schedule.  I can't find a way to request an email upload.  They come in when they feel like it I guess.

All that being said, any secrets?

Thanks for your time!

Ron

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Re: eMail control - Storm vs Desktop

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the Blackberry Forums 

here we go

Now...the problem...on the Q, the emails that came in when the desktop was off disappeared and deleted as if they never arrived, whether i read them on the device or not.  With the Storm, they do not disappear or delete or even show a read.

This is causing me to have to go back in and read emails that I have already read on the desktop.

The Blackberry mail works pushing the mail on your server to the blackberry device, if you don't delete the mail on the server the mail goes to the blackberry device. With BES ( exchange server ) you can sync email wirelessly, if you read the mail on the device they appears as read in the outlook pc and in the same way if you read in the outlook first.

Another issue with email is the ability to delete the eMails without a prompt each time.  There is a setting to control that, but it only works for one email and the SMS program, not all message accounts.

Made this like in the computer, go to the first message you want to delete, press the shift (aA with arrow) and with the trackball go to the last one you want to delete, and press the DEL key. 

Finally, and kind of the same subject, when I get a voice mail, SMS list shows an unheard voice mail on the list.  if I get 2,3 or more voice mails, I get that number of unheard voice mails on the list.  None of them disappear when I listen to my voice mail.  That means I have to go in and manually delete each item on the list so that the prompt disappears from the phone alerting me to a voice mail that I really don't have

You can solve this, press Menu (the blackberry logo key) , options, sms, delivery report , change to off

Thanks

Message Edited by urumilton on 01-09-2009 10:05 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: eMail control - Storm vs Desktop

Thanks for your attempt to help me.  I appreciate your time.

Your answers for items 2 and 3 appear to be for another product.  Those options are not available to me and I have no trackball.

On item 1, I am still a bit confused.  Apparently, the Q was working in an Exchange server environment, even though I only had Outlook2007 Standard.  When the Q went to the provider server and saw that a previous mail that wasuploaded to the Q and then later read or deleted by the desktop, it would delete the message and it would disappear from the device.

I think I will just have to get use to the way the BB system works and live with it.

I still think it is silly that I can't delete a message without going through a prompt for two of my 3 email accounts.

Thanks again for your help.

Ron