06-29-2013 12:06 PM
pls help me..i have bb 8520 curve with old os 4..i want to update it.when i click update on pc desktop software..it shos this msg
This BlackBerry® Device Software upgrade includes new features and significant enhancements to the BlackBerry® solution and, as such, is only available to users with an active BlackBerry subscription. To learn more about BlackBerry® service, please visit www.blackberry.com/service.
what can i do
06-29-2013 12:23 PM - edited 06-29-2013 12:23 PM
Hi and Welcome to the Community!
Officially, there is nothing you can do...the message is authoritative...if you do not subscribe to an adequate data plan from your mobile service provider, you are not eligible for official downloads of the updated OS levels.
But, unofficially, there is a trick...
On a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):
1) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages
2) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed
3) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:
4) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:
5) Disconnect your PC from the Internet
6) Launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC. If, during the process, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.
Don't forget to backup.
Good luck and let us know!