Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: SpeakOut7Eleven

error syncing contacts

I just acquired a Bold 9000, and set up Blackberry Desktop (v7.1.0.41) to sync my contacts from Outlook 2003. It worked fine until I removed the IT Policy (using instructions found in this forum, now Default), in an attempt to disable the password. I still can't disable the password (the IT people where the phone came from tell me you can't on this phone), but now the sync fails with the message "A program error occurred at line 1548 in .\OIAccess.cpp.".

When uninstalling and reinstalling Desktop didn't help, I restored the computer to a point before the initial install of Desktop and subsequent attempts to disable the password. I then installed Desktop again, with the same result. I've tried from both a restricted account and an administrator account in Windows 7 Home Premium.

I tried updating the Blackberry software (v4.6.0.162), but it tells me there are no updates.

Any ideas anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

...Larry

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: error syncing contacts

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I am not positive, from what you've posted, that you actually succeeded in removing your IT Policy.

lotz2du wrote:

removed the IT Policy (using instructions found in this forum, now Default), in an attempt to disable the password. I still can't disable the password (the IT people where the phone came from tell me you can't on this phone),

All of that leads me to believe that an IT Policy is still resident on the BB. Refer:

• KB30076 How to check for an IT Policy on a BlackBerry smartphone

Since you said "Default", that leads me to believe that an IT Policy indeed resides on the device, and may continue to be causing issues. Not knowing the process you followed to remove it, I cannot guess what went wrong. For example, if after properly performing the "ResetToFactory" command within the Desktop Software (which, btw, is the recommended method to remove the IT Policy) you proceeded with a full restore from a prior full backup, then the restore dutifully restored the IT Policy in addition to other things, resulting in being right back where you started.

lotz2du wrote:

but now the sync fails with the message "A program error occurred at line 1548 in .\OIAccess.cpp.".

I don't find any references to that error in the public KBs...but you might have better luck searching than I did:

lotz2du wrote:

When uninstalling and reinstalling Desktop didn't help, I restored the computer to a point before the initial install of Desktop and subsequent attempts to disable the password. I then installed Desktop again, with the same result. I've tried from both a restricted account and an administrator account in Windows 7 Home Premium.

You might instead try this procedure:

It starts with a process for cleanly starting over, and there is some discussion, and there is also a post (15) with links to older Desktop Software versions, if those are needed. Note that this is not, by any means, guaranteed to work...but it has worked for many to resolve issues they are having.

lotz2du wrote:

I tried updating the Blackberry software (v4.6.0.162), but it tells me there are no updates.

That often results if you allow the update process to be "automatic"...sometimes, your carrier may not have released any update when another has, but the automatic process restricts you to only your carriers released OS levels.

Please refer to this official download portal as you proceed. It is sorted first by carrier -- so if all you want are the OS levels your carrier supports, your search will be quick. However, some carriers are much slower than others to release updates. To truly seek out the most up-to-date OS package for your BB, you must dig through and find all carriers that support your specific model BB, and then compare the OS levels that they support.

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. After installing the OS package to your PC, please remeber to delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe it is capable of.

You may also want to try the "Bare Bones OS Reload Procedure" to attempt to narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

You may also need the use of these tricks:

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

But, all in all, I'd start with reloading your BB Desktop Software, ensuring that no BB OS package is installed to your PC, and proceeding with the proper procedure for successful removal of an IT Policy:

• KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Remember to NOT do a full restore.

Then, follow the above procedure to select and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire to install to your BB, and proceed with that. Or, if you are happy after the IT Policy is properly removed, you can stay on the OS level you are currently on. Your choice.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thank you for your quick response. It will take me some time to review and digest all this information. I'm not sure I'll have time before I leave on vacation, but I'll definitely get back to you when I've gone through it all.

...Larry

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

You are welcome. Your first step is ensuring that you actually have removed that residual IT Policy from your device -- if it is still there, then it alone could be the root cause of all of your issues.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

I attempted to remove the IT Policy using the instructions here http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Bold/Remove-IT-Policy/td-p/211812. I didn't know about ResetToFactory. When I ran that, the IT Policy was successfully removed, and I can now disable the password (which was my original intent), but I still get the error when attempting to sync with Outlook.

This posting http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Bold/BB-desktop-program-error-occurred-in-line-154... indicates it may be a registry error, although the person reporting the problem didn't have to clean his registry. This is why I restored my computer to a point before I started the whole process, to no avail. Note that the sync worked before I started trying to remove the IT Policy.

My next step will be to start over, as described in http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Desktop-Software-for-PC/Cleanly-quot-Starting-Over-quot-with-.... Item 4 states that the downloaded version of the Device Software must be the same as currently installed on the device. I don't have it installed on my PC now, and the version on my phone is 4.6.0.162, which is not one of the options listed on the download page for my carrier. The closest is 4.6.0.518.

At this point, I have 2 questions.

1) Does backing up the device back up the OS, or just the data and applications?

2) Can I safely install v4.6.0.518, even though I currently have v4.6.0.162?

Thanks again for your assistance.

...Larry

Hall of Famer III

lotz2du wrote:

1) Does backing up the device back up the OS, or just the data and applications?

Not the OS...just data, and perhaps not even applications. For proper backup/restore instructions and information, please see the link below in my auto-sig.

lotz2du wrote:

2) Can I safely install v4.6.0.518, even though I currently have v4.6.0.162?

"safely" is a tricky word...all I can say is that it should be safe, but I can't guarantee anything. But, if you install that BB OS package to your PC as per the instructions, what will happen is that the Desktop Software will assume you want to update your BB to that OS level...you should forbid that until AFTER you have fully completed the backup processes recommended.

New Contributor

I installed the Blackberry Desktop on another computer and tested the sync with the same result, indicating the problem is with the deevice.

I then followed the instructions for "cleanly starting over". Although the download page for the device s/w indicated it was v4.6.0.518, it installed as v4.6.0.303, which is still newer than the previous version (v4.6.0.162). This did not solve the problem, but I did notice that the calendar is updating fine. This implies that the problem is with the contacts database on the phone, but I was able to manually add a contact.

Anything else you can think of to try?

Hall of Famer III

So, just to make sure that I understand correctly:

1. You have successfully removed the IT Policy
  2. You can now remove the device lock password
  3. I cannot tell if you successfully conducted a backup or not...
  4. You then tried to sync on a different computer, with the exact same error "1548" resulting
  5. You then did the Clean Startover procedure -- but I cannot tell on which computer you did that on, nor which parts you conducted and/or left out (e.g., Registry Cleansing, clearing the BB databases, etc.)...
  6. But, during the Clean Startover, you did not install to your PC the exact same OS package that your BB was running
  7. Instead, you installed a newer OS package, and allowed that to install to your BB (at least, I think that's what happened)
  8. Now with sync, you say the calendar is fine (though I don't know why you mention that now...I don't recall it being a problem earlier...only the Contacts were problematic as far as I recall), but the contacts continue to have the exact same "1548" error.

Is all of that about right (of course, some are questions...)?

New Contributor

In response to your comments/questions:

1) Correct.

2) Correct.

3) I didn't attempt a backup, as there was nothing on the phone I needed to keep.

4) Correct.

5) I followed the steps of the clean start procedure, on the original computer, with the following exceptions.

- I didn't have any device software installed, so nothing to uninstall.

- I did a manual edit of the registry, deleting two RIM entries.

- After installing the Device s/w, I didn't delete any VENDOR.XML files, as the package was for my carrier.

- I didn't do steps 8 and 9.

6) Correct. I was previously running v4.6.0.303, the download package was identified as v4.6.0.518, but installed as v4.6.0.303.

7) Correct.

8) I have no need to sync the calendar, so hadn't attempted it before. I attempted it this time, to try to narrow down the cause of the problem. Syncing the contacts continues to generate the same error.

I believe I have come up with a work-around, although I have yet to test it. According to the documentation, my Nokia can transfer contacts from memory to the sim card, so I will attempt the following.

1) Swap sim cards between the two phones.

2) Load the contacts to the Nokia phone, and transfer to the sim card.

3) Swap the sim cards back and transfer the contacts from the sim card to memory on the BB.

The contacts in the BB are fairly static, so this procedure should be sufficient. I'll let you know how it goes.

If you have any more ideas, let me know. Otherwise, if this procedure works, I think I can live with it.

New Contributor

Oops. In response to item 6, I was previously running v4.6.0.162 (not 303).