Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

exceptions and help on the phone

[ Edited ]

I have been using Palms (and I had a Q) for YEARS, but this is my first Blackberry (8330 - Verizon).  I am picking it up fairly quickly, but am frustrated with some of what I can not find access to on my pda...   can anyone help me because the "help" directions are not helping - they are telling me to go places I can not get to. 

1) exceptions for specific people - as in if I want it to make a specific sound when I get a message from a specific person

2) is there a way to get to the hiden folders or files?  I finally figured out how to rearrange what is on the "desktop" but can not figure out how to get beyond those basic files and change things up.

3) can i set a specific ring tone for all calls NOT in my contact list like i can on a palm?

I did figure out how to get pictures and ringtones and set the wallpaper and custom ring tones...  I know I will get this down pdq, it's the learning curve...   lol

thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

Message Edited by mikivanmom on 09-02-2008 12:50 AM
Message Edited by mikivanmom on 09-02-2008 12:52 AM
Developer

Re: exceptions and help on the phone

1: Go to the Profiles application -> Advanced -> Select the profile you want to set -> there you can set the message tones. (There are already a loot of other Threads about how to set the profiles)

2: No, not for messages but for calls: Go to your contacts, select a contact -> Menu -> Edit -> Menu -> Add custom ring tone

3: In the homescreen press MenuButton -> Show all

If your question was answered, please accept it as a sollution and / or give Kudos ;-)
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi and welcome to the forums,

Go to PROFILES, ADVANCE OPTIONS, SELECT ACTIVE MENU KEY EDIT,

Here you will find all the categories that you can set up with ringtones and notifications.

Please remember to do the holster options as well. You will also need to setup all profiles that

you will use.

You can set up exceptions as well under USE ACTIVE PROFILE EXCEPT FOR:

For an example I have a special ringtone for anyone in my family.

I don't know what you mean by hidden folders or files, please specify

Please let me know if you need further assistance,

Thanks,

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

Thanks for the help so far!  I found how to specify which ring tone for each person and have many of those now.  

Is there a way to set it for anyone NOT in my address book?  I did that on my palm and basically, unless I am expecting calls back from an unknown (to me) number, I do not answer those calls, so I would like to be able to ID those calls without looking at the phone.   (I thought "Who could it be now" would be a hilarious ring tone for anyone NOT in my contact list.)

I am not clear on this one - can we set specific notification sounds for each person or not?  I could on the palm, so that everything from one person all had the same sound or whatever....   just curious.

for some reason, all the sudden my yahoo mail is not going to the phone.   I did not change any settings, where do I check to see if something changed somewhere to make sure it keeps going there?

Hidden folders / files -   I can find the toggle for the apps on the home screen.  But, how do I get to say, anything not showing on there.  For example, on my palm, i could explore the files and even get there and vavigate around through my computer desktop.  Can I do this on the Blackberry, or not?   It doesn't show up when I try to search files through my computer, and I cant figure out how to get there on the blackberry.   Where are the files, how do I view them?   Am I being clear or do I need to reclarify on this one?

TIA!

Guru I

[ Edited ]

1) I run a third part application called i,callmanager that is the best screen program I have found,

I will provide a link in a minute

2)yes you can set a ringtome for all entries, you can also set up groups via exceptions For example anyone in my

immediate family uses the same ringtone, so I know to pick up.

3) go to you BIS site and delete the account, reset it and see if that accomplishes the goal. If you need your BIE site web address let me know your carrier and I will provide it.

4)Call  all icons up and press the menu key, if anything is hidden you will have an option for "show all"

5) you can't get it the system files if that is what you are after?

Please let me know if there are any other questions I can help you within. Give me a minute and I will put the link of I,call into this post.

thanks

The link for i,call which has a free trial, I have used this personaally, and it works outstandgle well.

http://www.i-softwarelabs.com/

Message Edited by Bifocals on 09-02-2008 04:28 PM

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor

yes, please provide the BIS link for Verizon...  

thanks for the help!  So, with icall, can I set an exception for those NOT in my addres book?  I downloaded the free trial to see how that goes.  

Okay, so no system files.  Okay, that clarifies that one.  and, my understanding is that once I get an SD card, I can store more.  I about overloaded it with ringtones alone.   You would think they could put more memory in these. 

Guru I

[ Edited ]

Got lucky, Verizon is my provider too!

Please let me know if you need further assistance,

If not please take a minute to resolve the post, by putting the green check in the post that answered you problem

thanks very much!

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw

Message Edited by Bifocals on 09-02-2008 04:51 PM