Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: flash player for torch 9800

No.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone Egypt

With respect to your opinion, there is nothing in software developing world called NEVER.

and if RIM did not recognize the important of independent platforms programs like FLASH or SILVER LIGHT as important mobile technology it will lose its market share with minimum 2 years

Guru I

Hello melsatar,

I did not state my opinion in this discussion.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

I have also notcied the the BB Torch cannot handle various JavaScript processes in addition to the lack of no Flash support. Also, we BB users have to resort to a message forum such as this since there is no phone support offered by Rimm. We are pointed to our providers of which I am on AT&T. When I speak with the tech support at AT&T I get no answers. they point me back to Rimm. I have a solution for me. I am getting rid of my Torch and other BB devices and going to the Droid. Good bye and have a great life.

Highlighted
Guru I

hello waynerowlands,

well when AT&T is unable to answer you, they are supposed to contact RIM Level 2 support at no charge for you.

when you buy a SONY Bravia TV and it is broken, do you contact the shop hotline where you bought it or do you contact SONY ? Same question for a KIA car.

Contributor

Xandrex, so what is the solution to replace our phone with android one ?? Also what about skype.

Do you agree with me that RIM should consider this as most of their costumers are disappointed because of this limitations in operating system.
Contributor

Also kindly provide your opinion
Guru I

Buying an Android phone will not solve any issue. Currently most Android phones are limited to a specific version of Android.

Take for example the HTC Desire (released in may 2010). Google declared it will never get the Gingerbread 2.3 OS.

Besides, with a BlackBerry device, RIM publishes the OS version to the carriers. Each carriers test it, and train their hotline teams, and then each carrier, with their own timing, release the OS to the public.

The magic is that the BlackBerry owner is able to install the OS that was released by another carrier (for example a Hong Kong or a South American one).

For Android devices, each OS is designed by both Google and the manufacturer (HTC, LG, Samsung, Motorola and so on). I find this incredibly constraining.

About supporting devices. As I have already said here, RIM is proud to offer at least two generations of OS for each device:

• OS4.2 & OS4.5 for 8300 / 8800 / 8100
  • OS4.6 & OS5 for 8200 / 8900 / 9000 & 9500/9530 & 8520 & 9550/9520 & the Tour
  • OS5 & OS6 for 9700 / 9100 / 9300
  • OS6 for the Torch

Indeed, there is one exception for the past 5 years (I'm counting 15 models, even without differentiating CDMA & GSM devices)

So no, I do not believe that RIM is showing disrespect to its customers.

That being said, OS7 has a great feature called "Liquid Graphics". This feature requires a physical additional processor. To obey your desire, RIM could have done two things:

• dumbing down the OS. Make OS7 very near from OS6, so that it can be used on a slow single CPU ---> I honestly do not wish that!
  • create an accessory that adds an additional CPU to the 9800 ---> I honestly do not think a Max Max-like BlackBerry bulky Torch is what the consumers expect

My opinion is that RIM's OS is, from a consumer perspective, missing some features seen at the competition. RIM cannot be satisfied by small enhancements like going from OS4.5 to OS5 like in the past. Big changes are required fast, and it will of course mean that some consumers are not going to get all the bells and whistles for a device that was released 12 months ago (= 3 generations of smartphones).

Lastly, about the customer disappointment, I only have one motto : caveat emptor. Buyer beware.

When I buy any product that costs more than 100USD, I always try to gather information to know if my acquisition is the best match. You obviously did not.

If I say things differently, if your carrier is honest and trustful, your carrier tells you when a device is reaching its end of life (= date where the carrier does not sell it anymore). Once again, you are the one who chose your carrier.

Contributor

Thank you for the explanation, I already did a lot of reasearch and found the tourch is the most suitable and I did not know that the basic features not included like flash, skype application, video calling, text to caller instead of slience button only, many things are easy to be included, so this will change the past, and I'm statisfied with the current features as they helped me a lot, also here in Egypt OS7 still not upgradable by Vodafone, so do you have any expectations, also I'm willing to buy a tab so could you help me what the best in playbook more than android devices like galaxy tab or Motorola Xoom, also rather than ipad, is it have a limitations also

Thanks in advance
Guru I

@melsatar
if you want opinions about tablets, I think the best is for you to open a new discussion about it.