Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Storm 9500
My Carrier: vodafone IT
Accepted Solution

free memory on my device

Hello I've bb Storm

I do not have any special applet download however the device display state as follow:

16,1MB free memory space application ,

879,9 MB Memory deivces avaiable

How do I to free memory? currently I can not download nothing.

Regards,

c

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: free memory on my device

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

The best way to free up AppMemory is to do a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Further, it is always important to properly close applications when you are done with them. Using the Back or the Red key will not do this -- those leave it to the app to decide what to do...and some will leave themselves resident in memory, consuming resources on your BB, slowing the overall performance. Rather, to close an app, press the BBKey and select "Close" or "Exit"...that will force the application to be closed, freeing up for your new use the resources it was consuming. Some apps will always remain running (typically -- BBMessenger, Browser, Homescreen, Phone, and Messages)...but, you should still close them properly - especially the Browser...if it is left on an active web page, it will not only consume extra resources but battery power as well.

Good luck!

Best!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Regular Contributor
My Device: BB Storm 9530 US Verizon BIS

I think there is something to be said here. I am not sure of the exact numbers but not all the BB Storms memory can be used for loading applications. 16mb sounds about right. The rest of the memory is used for running all systems and apps. The average application seems to be about 250kb ( 1 megabyte = 1024 kilobytes). I think I heard some where you should leave about 5mb of the application memory free. So the other 11mb represents about 40-45 applications that can be loaded.

In addition, if your phone begins to run slow the options are do a battery pull, check the task manager so you can close running programs and or get a memory app (there are at least two available on App World).

Hope this helps.

If someone assists you with an issue, please thank them by clicking "kudos" in those posts.
If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Contributor
My Device: Storm 9500
My Carrier: vodafone IT

Dear Ira,

thank you for your info,

But I'm not sure about it, I 've some costrain download applets from appworld, they told me not enough space...

Regards,

C

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi ClaudioGF;

I think there is another reason App World is telling you the memory is low.

My reply was more to tell you that the 16mb free application memory seems normal.

On my Storm the memory reading is 12.5 free application memory, total device memory 879.2mb and free device memory 860.2mb.

Since I have got my Storm I have installed over 40 apps. Currently I have installed:

Weatherbug,

Aerize Optimizer-Memory Booster

AP News

CBS News

Currency

Date Reminder

Datepedia: Holidays and More

Dictionary v2.7

EZ Tip Calculator

Flashlight

got-2Pro Task and Schedule Management

GT Blackjack

iHeartradio

MemoryBooster

Mobile Checkbook

Pandora

Personal Assistant

Quick Search with Google

QuickPull Lite

RepliGo Reader PDF

Shazam

Slacker Radio

The Flashlight (Uses Camera Light)One Touch

WHERE

White Noise

QuickLaunch

BB App World

APPS App Store

Handango App Store

Google Maps

YouTube

GMail

Sling Player

Capture It

Freedom Bluetooth Keyboard Utility

Windows Live Messenger

AIM Messenger

(including what came with the phone: 2 Games, Visual Voice Mail, VZ Navagator, Clock, Maps,Repilgo Doc,XLS & PPT, I have added 10 different e-mail accounts to BB e-mail setup, BB Messenger, Voice Dialing and etc. etc.),

I can still download more. My phone works just fine. All I do is a daily reboot with Quickpull as a matter of practice. The 16mb free application memory is not your problem.

If someone assists you with an issue, please thank them by clicking "kudos" in those posts.
If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Message Edited by IraIHB on 09-24-2009 03:25 PM
Message Edited by IraIHB on 09-24-2009 03:29 PM
Message Edited by IraIHB on 09-24-2009 03:43 PM
Message Edited by IraIHB on 09-24-2009 03:44 PM
My Device: Not Specified

Ok......but they are not the only ones with the memory issue and it doesn't just manifest itself in the BBApp.  I have the same prob, deleted practically everything and I still only have 30mb roughly.  I have tried downloading more, like I use one of the credit card processing apps and if I don't uninstall it completely every time I can't download any more apps onto my Storm.  It flat won't let me.........kicks me out.  I have an 8gig mSD and now I have removed all auxillary and yet I still have practically no app mem.  On top of that, the worthless propaganda that verizon keeps pushing to my phone I can't get rid of even though I know there has to be a way to delete it and even a trip to the vz store didn't get it solved, I was complaining about the fact that they have loaded duplicates of their crummy stuff I don't even use and all the tech did was hide them rather than remove them.  Strike two...........I don't appreciate being treated like I am stupid ya know.
Regular Contributor

The Verizon techs is their stores are a bunch of idiots. There to transfer phone books and take in repairs. The techs you get on the phone are only slightly better. If they cannot solve your problem they are suppose to escalate you directly to Blackberry support at no charge. If the phone support tries and can't help you and then doesn't do that automatically insist on it. Get a supervisor on the line.

Good Luck,