Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: sTorm 9500 v4.7.0.100
Accepted Solution

guide to upgrading OS for new users?

[ Edited ]
I wanted to upgrade my OS to the leaked v4.7.0.100 as I've heard a lot of good reviews about it.
Well as a first step, I'm supposed to download the BB Desktop Software - but I don't know which one to download.
My Storm runs on v4.7.0.78 and is specifically "built" for Vodafone Australia (as advertised) so i presume it's locked with Voda OZ. Since it is, can i still do the upgrade and is it advisable?
I haven't done anything yet as I obviously need a lot of help and advice before doing so but I have already saved the v...100 OS on my desktop.
Thanks
Message Edited by kaynam69 on 02-07-2009 01:33 AM
Message Edited by kaynam69 on 02-07-2009 01:34 AM
Forums Veteran III
My Device: Bold - T-mobile

Re: guide to upgrading OS for new users?

Hi Kaynam69, i'm asking to Bifocals, he have a Storm to post here the exact procedure, please wait a few minutes, thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I help you with any inquire, thank you for click kudos in my post.
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post was solved.
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

There's actually a few really good guides available already, including guides on what to do if something goes wrong and you end up with a bricked phone.  I'd actually really recommend reading through these before proceeding, just to be safe.  I was going to post the steps for you, but I'll wait to see if Bifocals is able to give you a set of instructions.  If not, I'll give you the short version.  But if you want to read the full guides, try Googling "How to Install or Upgrade to a new RIM BlackBerry Operating System" and "How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry".

These BlackBerry 101 guides from other people are incredibly useful and I'd recommend reading them to ensure you're prepared (made my upgrading experience a lot easier!).

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Urumiltion was just being lazy and making me work! Smiley Wink

Answer the following so we can get you the best combination.

Type of PC, and the OS (if Vista 32 or 64 bit)

Type of desktop organizer (Outlook, Lotus notes et.)

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor

guide to upgrading OS for new users?

[ Edited ]
Thanks.
I use an Asus Notebook M51Sn Series with Vista 32-bit OS
Don't specifically use Outlook or Lotus notes.
BTW I'm not that tech savvy but I can follow instructions well.
I also sometimes use a PC with Windows XP 2002 Service Pack 2... I know it's old, but it's dependable.
Message Edited by kaynam69 on 02-07-2009 02:04 AM
Elite I

Definitely check out those How To Guides I mentioned.  You'll feel a lot better after reading them.  Good news is that the update process is actually pretty easy once you know what you're doing (a bit intimidating the first time though).

Smiley Happy

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Contributor

thanks... will do...
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi,

I would go with desktop manager 4.7, without media manager.

You can download it at the link below.

Fortunately for you, you have a Vista expert in Krypto.

Krypto, you drive! Smiley Wink

Let us know if you need any help, and Good Luck to you!

Bifocals

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Elite I

And you can get some great steps here as well: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=9500&thread.id=14076&view=by_date_asc...

Just scroll a little ways down (about half way down) and you'll get some good steps.  Throughout the thread are some great instructions as well! Smiley Happy

Contributor

thanks again... will definitely update u guys... success or no success