Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: guide to upgrading OS for new users?

IM getting this same thing when i tried to upgrade to .99. any ideas?
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

HiJassgtrl4,

Please be very specific and start when you downloaded and how you downloaded the device is.

Fill in all the details

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Hey Bifocals, just to give you a heads up, there is now actually a new leaked .103 from Blackberry (so now things get really confusing with Sith's hybrid OS and this new one - the way to tell the difference is that Sith's is listed as 4.7.3.103 while BB's is listed as 4.7.0.103).  This is for the Storm 9530.  The 9500 actually has version .106 available for download in various places now.

As to the problems, if the Desktop Manager doesn't work for some reason, use the Loader.exe file in the same folder as where you deleted the Vendor.xml file.  I actually noticed that .103 didn't want to update with the Desktop Manager this time for me either, and I had to use Loader.exe.

Jazzgtrl4, try using the Loader file too, as that may resolve your problem.  If not, let us know exactly what's happening and we can try to figure it out.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Contributor

Hi for some reason it didnt post my reply too. any way I download .99 opened it followed all the directions on delteing the .xml file. open BDM, did a backup. found the .99 software and then im getting this messge

"No software update is required for your device"

and nothing happens. tried restarting BDM. still happens

Elite I

[ Edited ]

Have you restarted your computer since installing .99 yet?  Not restarting will sometimes cause a problem.  If you have restarted, then go to your AppLoader folder and use Loader.exe from there.  It's located here: C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\Loader.exe.  And don't forget to delete the Vendor.xml file from this same folder.

Hopefully these steps will resolve the problem and get you going.

Just as an FYI, version 4.7.0.103 is now available for the 9530 as well, so you might want to consider installing that one instead (I'm liking it thus far).

Message Edited by Krypto on 02-12-2009 09:02 AM

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Guru I

Hi Krypto,

Yes I read about Sith Apprentice "marrying" multiple versions together.

I wish him all the best, I am not technical enough to evaluate or survive the

"fallout" from any such marriage. I think we need to both take great pains to find

out where the upgrade being used comes from.

I hadn't looked, is there a different platform number or anything?

Thanks,

Bifocals

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Guru I

I have 2 cents more.

I have seen a lot of users who execute the file when downloading. Save the file to a

directory on the PC. When you have done fully loading it to the HDD, then extract the folder.

This seems to help a lot of systems errors.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Elite I

Yup... Basically this is how it currently stands for most recent OSes:

BB Leaked (Unofficial) Beta OSes:

• 9530 is 4.7.0.103 (released yesterday on the same site as usual)
  • 9500 is 4.7.0.106 (released in the exact same spot as for the 9530 - just select the correct OS based on your system)

Sith_Apprentice Hybrid OS:

• Original was 4.7.0.100, current version is 4.7.3.103 (note that the 3 in the middle distinguishes it from the BB betas)

Like I said, it's confusing as there are currently two completely different .103 for the 9530 Smiley Surprised

Contributor

Hi, still cant get .99 to load with the desktop manager. so when i use the a loader.exe. what do i do? how do i use it. it opened where do i select the .99 upgrade form the list.? does it already know. thanks
Elite I

It should load the most recent version installed on your computer, so if .99 is the most recent version installed, it should load that one up no problem. Smiley Happy