Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: tour 9630
My Carrier: reliance

handheld application loader wizard

i am having a problem whuile operating the blackberry desktop manager after connecting my handheld...it says "handheld application loader wizard has encountered a problem and needs to close.we are sorry for the inconvenience" please help.im unable 2 do anything on my device except take a back-up!!!!

please help

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: handheld application loader wizard

Hi and Welcome to the Community! 

I suggest the following steps (insert plenty of reboots of your PC...not just restarts, but full power down reboots). Also, it is advised that you be logged into the PC on an account with full admin rights. Further, under Vista/Win7, use the "Run As Administrator" option for everything.

Further, it has also been reported that when your user profile on windows (type 'echo %userprofile%' in the command prompt) contains spaces, then the installer will not work. In order to solve this issue, log out of your Windows account and log back in using the local Administrator account (or any other account name without spaces) and install the desktop (for all users).

1) Remove your device OS update package from your PC (add/remove programs, if it exists)

2) Cleanly uninstall the RIM Desktop Software: 

• KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software
    • Some have reported that clearing any RIM/BB-related registry keys to be helpful
    • Others have reported the use of a registry cleansing tool to also be helpful
    • Still others have reported the use of your original PIM (e.g., Outlook, NOTES, etc.) installation CD, running the "repair" process, to be helpful in some situations

3) Get a fresh download of the RIM Desktop Software:

4) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier:

5) Install the Desktop Software to your PC

6) Install (also to your PC), the device OS package

7) Start over with the Desktop Software, fresh and new.

Hopefully that will get things going again.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

i have uninstalled and reinstalled the software a min. of 50 times...no results...

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

Hmmm...well, given the comparative level of detail of your words and my recommendations, I cannot at all determine if you have attempted quite the extent of work that I recommended. So I am unsure what else to advise you to do until I can know if you have actually carried out the level of detail that I recommended.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

im sorry for making it so short without the necessary details...but i'v actually done all that u'v said.

i have uninstalled the desktop software.....cleaned the registry for anything remaining,clean booted my pc....installed the software from the said download sites...but am STILL facing the same issue.

Hall of Famer III

Hmmm...strange. The OS package you have downloaded and installed, is that from your BB's original carrier or a different carrier? If different, have you deleted all copies of VENDOR.XML? Even if same, maybe deleting VENDOR.XML would be useful. In some cases, there are two VENDOR.XML files to delete.

New Contributor

Yea I'v downloaded the software from the blackberry site...n vendor.xml???? Wat am I supposed to do with that n when?
New Contributor

Yea I'v downloaded the software from the blackberry site...n vendor.xml???? Wat am I supposed to do with that n when?if I DO delete it now...am I required to re-install the sw?
Hall of Famer III

You misunderstand. Downloading the OS package from the BB site is irrelevant...that's just a portal, provided by RIM for convenience. RIM does not release the OS packages to end users...the carriers control that (since they further have to provide support), even if it is distributed via the RIM download portal.

So, if the OS package was released by your BB's original carrier, then VENDOR.XML deletion normally does not apply (but does no harm if done so). But, if the package was released by a different carrier, then you must delete all instances of VENDOR.XML after you have installed the package to your PC...that file restricts the use of the OS package to only BBs that are from that same carrier...deleting VENDOR.XML allows the OS package to be used on BB's from other carriers. So, you need to know what carrier your BB was designed for and what carrier's OS package you downloaded, even if you used the official download portal.

After you install the OS package to your PC, you seek out all instances of VENDOR.XML. One is normally somewhere within the Program Files (or Program Files (x86), depending on your PC OS version) area, often inside of Common Files, and then deeper into things where RIM is mentioned in the folders. The other is normally within the User Profile area, the AppData section, also Common Files etc. You must dig through your system to find them...their exact location can be different based on your particular PC OS version, so giving you exact locations is difficult (and I can only "see" the exact location on my particular PC OS version, not on any PC OS versions that I simply do not have access to).

You would be doing this (deleting all VENDOR.XML files) between steps 6 and 7 in the process I gave you above in Post #2 above. And to answer your last question...yes, you would be re-installing the software as part of what I gave you above in Post #2.

Hope that helps.

New Contributor

i deleted vendor.xml.....and then re-installed the s/w from my carrier a well as the desktop s/w...still facing the same prob.iv infact deleted the 3 times cold started my pc ...tried everything but nothin seems to work.does that mean i have to gt my device formatted?