06-28-2012 08:22 AM
I have recently bought a blackberry curve 3G and i went to take it to my local phone shop to get it unlocked. They told me all the attempts to unlock it had been used but i had not attempted to unlock it before this time. Is there any way i can get it unlocked even though it is hardlocked?
06-28-2012 08:29 AM
To determine if your BlackBerry is already "unlocked" or not:
1. On your OS5 BlackBerry, go to Options > Advanced Options > Sim Card. For an OS6 or OS7 device, go to Options > Device > Advanced > SIM
2. At that screen type MEPD (see note below) on your keyboard. A new menu will pop up.
* If your BlackBerry has a SureType keyboard (71xx, 81xx, 91xx devices) you will need to double-tap the P, so the actual keys entered become M E P P D.
3. Look for Network in the list.
4. If your device is "unlocked", it should say Disabled or Inactive. If it says Active, it's still locked to that carrier.
After the ten attempts have been used, you must get RIM to unlock the device.
There are two routes, and only two, to achieve this.
* IF your device is in warranty, contact your service provider technical support. Tell them you have this issue which needs to be escalated to RIM level customer support. I'll warn you that most carrier technical support people will first assume and think you are referring to a device security unlock, and you will need to convince them otherwise and explain clearly what you need. THEY will not be able to help you because the carriers themselves cannot unlock a device which has had the MEP code attempts depleted, and should (and you will need to ask) to have the case escalated to RIM level tech support.
* If your device is out of warranty, contact RIM direct. See the Contact Us information from the website: http://ca.blackberry.com/contact/ The options you want to select to speak to BlackBerry Customer Care are 3 (for inquiries, orders, billing, e-RMA etc) then 5 (e-RMA and Out of Warranty).
Alternatively, you might get a third party vendor to provide a reset of the MEP code, try www.horizonwirelessonline.com
PIN: C0001B7B4 Display/Scan Bar Code
PIN: C0005A9AA Display/Scan Bar Code