Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

hi and some dumb questions from a newbie

have just got an 8310 on O2 and have an amazing amount of questions! i guess the maps and the email questions it appears form reading the forum will be solved by O2 Smiley Happy however Smiley Happy

when i press 'mute' to go to stand by - it does just that, however when i slip it out of the case - being careful NOT to touch anything near the standby/mute button - it removes itself from standby - i thought you had to press the standby button again to achieve this?

also on the home screen is possible to customise the icons which appear? i have it on a view which shows up and coming calendar events but i would also like to have the web access icon?

thanks in advance - in general i'm thrilled to have this, as it syncs with my Mac, so life carries on although i will be happier when i get the email and maps issue as well as the niggles above sorted Smiley Happy 

Forums Advisor II
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

Re: hi and some dumb questions from a newbie

mattneil wrote:

also on the home screen is possible to customise the icons which appear? i have it on a view which shows up and coming calendar events but i would also like to have the web access icon?

Sounds like your using one of the Today themes. If that is the case, No you can not change which icons display on the Home screen. Some other themes allow you to change the icons that are displayed on the Home screen.

New Contributor
My Device: 8900 Curve (Javelin) O2 BIS

Hi, I'm new to this too (also on O2) but have found that you can move the icons to the home screen in some of the themes  by going into the applications screen and moving the required icons to the top row.

The process I use is :

• Press the applications key
  • Move the trackball to highlight the desired icon
  • Select "Move" from the menu - "Moving browser" will now be displayed at the bottom of the screen and the icon will be surrounded by a black square.
  • Move the trackball to the desired position in the top row of icons - first icon goes to the top of the home screen etc.
  • Select "Complete Move" on the menu then press the applications key.

I have tried this with the O2 Zen theme which works fine, but as the OP says when I tried the O2 Today theme it doesn't work, the icons seem to be preset and non-movable.

Hope this helps

--
rockhopper
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

thanks people most helpful!

@ rockhopper - have you set up email with O2 yet? and if so was it easy - they are on my to do list today and want to prepare myself Smiley Happy 

New Contributor
My Device: 8900 Curve (Javelin) O2 BIS

mattneil

Take a look at my response to someone else in another thread:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryInternetSolution&message.id...

Hope your experience is better than mine has been so far. Partner's is still not enabled today and still waiting for new sim cards (which I didn't need anyway!) Smiley Sad

It seems you pretty easy as long as O2 have added your blackberry data bolt on. Just use the setup wizard, you'll probably need your mail server names if you're setting up an ISP email account. The O2/blackberry email is easy, not much more than choosing a username and password.

Good luck

--
rockhopper