Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: curve 8350
My Carrier: koodo

Re: home screen symbols

its is gps and i can turn it off but the icon stays 

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone

I don't know if I'm asking in the right place or in the right way. However, I wanted to ask something about a symbol of my home screen. Two days ago I got my first blackberry and I'm trying to learn to use all its items. Today I made some changes with my provider to be able to use the mobile internet applications. Since that, a symbol similar to the blackberry one appeared on the top right corner of my screen. I know it's a normal thing because I've just seen it on some of your images, but I wanted to know what it is exactly and I was not able to find it in my bb information booklet. 

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Style
My Carrier: Sprint

I'm not exactly sure what symbol you are talking about. Can you please be a little more descriptive?

New Contributor

Oh, sure. I'm sorry. It's the one with the 4 white dots next to '3G'. 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi there!

That means that your BB is properly connected to the BB-proprietary services to which you have subscribed. It's called BIS -- BlackBerry Internet Service -- and it includes a series of services that are BB-specific (i.e., not available on non-BB devices).

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thank you so much!

KBB
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Tmobile

Hi, I wonder if you would be able to help.... I have a symbol which I thought was telling me I have 2 voicemails. The symbol is very similar to that of voicemail but a whole lot smaller. It obviously has a '2' next to it. However, I've checked my voicemail, and I have no new or saved messages. Any ideas???
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

KBB wrote:
Hi, I wonder if you would be able to help.... I have a symbol which I thought was telling me I have 2 voicemails. The symbol is very similar to that of voicemail but a whole lot smaller. It obviously has a '2' next to it. However, I've checked my voicemail, and I have no new or saved messages. Any ideas???

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

From your description, I can't tell for sure what it might be. Please check this reference:

BBIcons.jpg

If it is not one of those, then please capture and post a screen image (sanitized for personal information, of course).

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Highlighted
My Device: 8520

hi,

I use curve 8520. though xmas is far off, an orange star has appeared on my BB home screen, at the top near volume icon. Can someone tell me what this notifies and resolution to fix this.

thanks in advance

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

paulose wrote:

I use curve 8520. though xmas is far off, an orange star has appeared on my BB home screen, at the top near volume icon. Can someone tell me what this notifies and resolution to fix this.

Check ALL of your third party applications for an update, message or notification.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code