Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry 9900
My Carrier: vodafone

how do i export my 18000 contacts from my blackberry to either gmail or outlook or hotmail etc

please help guys

ive been trying all sorts of ways for ages.

i have used my private phone for years and have accumulated a lot of contacts in the phonebook.  i cant find a way to export these to another source like gmail or whatever so that when i plan to change to iphone i have a way to pull these down to that new device.

ive used the blackberry desktop to backup all the contacts so thats done - but is that in a format i can use elsewhere?

i really need some help please.

thank you

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG853), Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: how do i export my 18000 contacts from my blackberry to either gmail or outlook or hotmail etc

The format of the backup file is indeed proprietary, intended as the source of restore to a BB only. But, there are 3rd party PC apps that can parse the file and present it in "human-usable" formats...you should seek these out to see if one meets your needs adequately. A few seconds with Google (search for "IPD reader" or "BBB reader", depending on the Desktop Software version you used) should reveal plenty of possibilities for you, many of them free.

Otherwise, if you fall back to a prior (pre 7, I think) Desktop Software version, there is within those a facility to export from the BB to CSV. You can find older desktop Software versions here:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................