Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Maxis
Accepted Solution

how to decrypt a media card from a dead blackberry ?

My old blackberry is broken beyond repair, and its sd card is encrypted. Is there any way I can access its content on my new blackberry or via PC?

Thank you in advance.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Passport/ Curve 9320

Re: how to decrypt a media card from a dead blackberry ?

yes, but depending on the encryption key used. 

If Device password is used to encrypt files, you can decrypt the files using the same password.

If device key or device password&device key is used, you can't, meaning the files are now useless.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Click if you want to Thank someone. If Problem is resolved, so that others can make use of it.
New Contributor

Thank you for your answer,
to your know knowledge is there any way to retrieve the device key from the broken phone ? If yes, is there any way to use it together with the password to decrypt the data ?
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hello,

Refer:

• Article ID: KB25484 Expectations when encryption is enabled for a media card in a BlackBerry smartphone

BBs are the most secure mobile devices available, and media card encryption is part of that strong security. To date, there is no way to break through it (which is considered a feature, not a failing -- albeit inconvenient in your particular circumstances).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thank you sdgardne.
The KB confirms what you said and I'm sure you are correct.
However don't you find limiting that a security feature ends up making data unretrievable even to the legitimate owner of the broken phone and who's in possess of the correct password ?
I guess this rhetoric question will remain without answer.
Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Actually, not rhetorical at all...consider. Someone steals your media card...if the encryption could be broken, then the level of security on the device would be greatly lessened. And there is no automated way to cause the encryption to know that it's you, the rightful owner, rather than some thief trying to look at your protected data.

The user-level protection method is proper backups. With encryption, one should take extra steps to ensure that you have an unencrypted copy of your media card data available to you in your backup copy on some computer somewhere.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Forums Veteran I

[ Edited ]

I agree with @sdgardne .

Having decrypted/unencrypted backup files is still the best practice to do because only a blackberry smartphone can decrypt files ecnrypted by a blackberry smartphone (unles there is a software that does that). Smartphones are extremely vulnerable when stolen or lost. Believe me this happened to me on one of my SD cards, I didn't have backup so my personl files are now long gone, but I can breathe freely knowing each and every pictures, docs, videos etc. on the SD card are encrypted.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Click if you want to Thank someone. If Problem is resolved, so that others can make use of it.
New Contributor

Thank you both again for your points, which are surely making a lot of sense. However I still find that this security feature is not so great, since it does not take in consideration the possibility of a case like mine. Just saying :-)
Forums Veteran I

Better safe than sorry Smiley Happy

Hall of Famer III

Indeed. With security, there is always a trade off to be made between user inconvenience and the level of security attained. We can only surmise that to do as you desire would compromise the level of security, rendering the data more vulnerable to that thief who desires to have access to your data.