Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: curve 8900
My Carrier: t-mobile

how to disable auto-capitalization?

i have some obsessive tendencies, and a need for keeping to my own personal style of writing is absolutely key to my comfort level when typing anything.  i strongly dislike uppercase letters.  is there any code/script/hack i can use to disable auto-capitalization on my blackberry? 

if it's a complicated hack, i don't mind it. i'm decent with coding and love to learn more.
i just am really bothered by having to go back to mess with capitalization issues when texting/posting to a social network.

thank you!

New Contributor
My Device: curve 8900
My Carrier: t-mobile

Re: how to disable auto-capitalization?

oh, forum titles, why you so ironic?

Highlighted
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: how to disable auto-capitalization?

Not so ironic 'cause here I am!

You can substitute some letters so they don't capitalize.  For example, when you type "i've", your BlackBerry is programmed to change it to "I've", with a capital "I".  This, you can fix.  As for your phone putting a capital letter after a period, I can't help you there.

To do word substitution, follow this path from your homescreen:  (please note that I use OS 7 and you don't, so your path might differ slightly)  Options>Typing and Language>Word Substitution.  Scroll down to a word you wish to substitute, press the menu key and select Edit.  Scroll to the "With:" and replace that word with the one you  want (supposedly without the capital).  Now press the menu key again and select Save. 

That will take care of the capitalizing of the letter "I".  As for starting a sentence without a capital, you're on your own.  I hope I've been partially helpful to you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.