Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

FcK
My Device: Not Specified

how to restore autotext from OS 6 to OS 6 ?

So,I'm using blackberry 9700 running on OS 6

A past ago, I'm using OS 5, backup, and restoring my autotext to my new OS (OS 6) so easy. Just restore it.

Now I already use OS 6, and changed frequently to new OS 6 to fix bug etc. I got frustated how to restore my autotext from OS 6 to my new OS 6.

I only got "Autotext data version 1", and if I restore it, my autotext like a mass, everything corrupted Smiley Sad

But,if I restore autotext data from my old OS 5 to my new OS 6, it works.

So,anyone fell the same like me? Smiley Sad
Solutions: 6,329
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: how to restore autotext from OS 6 to OS 6 ?

What version of the Desktop Software are you using?

FcK wrote:
Now I already use OS 6, and changed frequently to new OS 6 to fix bug etc. I got frustated how to restore my autotext from OS 6 to my new OS 6.

I only got "Autotext data version 1", and if I restore it, my autotext like a mass, everything corrupted Smiley Sad

I don't know what you mean by all that... corrupted how?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
FcK
My Device: Not Specified

Sorry for my bad english Smiley Sad

I mean, for example : └(•‾‾ϖϖϖϖ‾‾•)┌
If I restore from my backup files (os 6) to my blackberry, it will not show like that, some kind of random symbol Smiley Sad
New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: TMobile

This is a well known problem with BlackBerry OS6. They renamed AutoText to WordSubstitution, However it seems impossible to Backup & Restore either AutoText or WordSubstituion.

Additionally, either AT or WS is supposed to be backed up on the BES (we have a 5.0), However I am seeing that neither of this is backed up. So you are pretty much SOL in terms of being able to backup & restore any Autotext or WordSubstitution data based from one BlackBerry on OS6 to another.

If someone finds a way; Do recommend/share. Kind regards,

Super Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 v6.0.0.576
My Carrier: Orange UK

The autotext collection in backups is known as CustomWordsCollection. 

I have also upgraded/downgraded several times trying the new os6 leaks. I always make a full backup of my data, and then either restore it completely or select only the ones i need. 

Hope this helps.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Install this on your phone, it helps: http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/protect/

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.
Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
New Contributor

Custom Word Collections are the SpellCheck workds that one "Add to Dictionary" they don't have any AutoText entries or WS entries in there.

Toughest Problem is that once you have restored a big AutoText dn from OS5 to an OS6 BlackBerry, the OS6 BlackBerry doesn't allow you to backup the AutoText entries.

So now this is the 3rd time I've had to restore my OS5 AutoText entries from May2010 and redo my updates. So much pain.

Funniest (yet horrendously painful) was Talking to BlackBerry T-Mobile support & RIM support & they say, it is not retrievable. RIM support tech said Sorry Sir, this feature isn't backed up (AutoText) and hence it isn't restored.
Super Contributor

Oooh I misunderstood, my bad Smiley Sad

This problem might be solved in 6.1, due to arrive in summer I suppose. We should be seeing a leak within a month or 2, as some of the apps were leaked last week.
_________________________________________________________________________________________
Install this on your phone, it helps: http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/protect/

New Contributor

Its a tough request mate. We all dearly & patiently hope that it may get resolved, in 6.1, but I strongly worry about it. I believe this was something that was known, but with BlackBerry going to another OS, they may not be able to fix/resolve.

I have a strong inclination that this problem is here to stay long term. There just aren't that many people complaining about it, so not enough of a squeaky wheel. Current focus for RIM seems to be playbook & getting touch screen apps & fuctions to match iPhone. We are seeing so many of the tools that hardcore BlackBerry users adore, be put by the wayside. BlackBerry's efficiency is being lost with every feature that isn't supported with every new release. O well.. Atleast a workaround of using 2 BlackBerry's is do-able.

Make AutoText changes on OS5 and then restore them to OS6 BlackBerry. Painful, but true. Smiley Happy Thanks for the comments,
My Device: BB 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! ONE OF THE GREAT USABILITY FEATURES OF THE BB - AND ONE INTO WHICH A USER MUST INVEST TIME - IS NOT SUPPORTED AS PART OF THE STANDARD BACKUP! I AM PRACTICALLY BEING PUSHED TO APPLE!
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Fr some reason, my custom autotext collection gets backed up and restored without problem. I am running 9700/6.0.0.600.

Even in the previous builds, I did not face this problem.

I don't know how to back up autotext manually, ie I don't know which category they fall into when making a backup but I have no problem.