Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

how to separate mail and phone message log

Hello Bifocals,

Hello everybody,

I need help to configure BB8310 to meet my needs.

1.  How do I separates mail message log from phone message log?

2.  How do I disable mail message log and still be able to create and send mail?   Currently, I am able to stop mail message log from generating by deleting all email account setup.   Now, whenever I try to create an outgoing mail, BB complains about no email account setup.  I was planning to try and modify From field in the outgoing email manually, this way, no need for email account setup...Basically, I don't want mail message log mix with phone message log.  This was just a work around for me.

jujubefruit

Super Contributor
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

Re: how to separate mail and phone message log

For BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) email accounts, you should have a separate icon for each email account, as well as an icon for your phone logs.

If you're on a BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Server), unfortunately the only way to get to your company email is through the Messages icon from the home screen, and Messages lists ALL email accounts as well as the Phone Logs. You can optionally display SMS messages too.

Personally, I prefer using just the Messages icon and have the individual icons for all of my email accounts hidden. Aside from the fact that I generally know what email comes from what account, it rarely matters! Also, on a full QWERTY device, it makes it a lot easier to use the built in Shortcut Keys.

That said, the only way to have phone calls not show up in the Messages list is to turn off Call Logging (Phone --> Options --> Call Logging).

If you need to see just the email from your BES account for some reason, try using a Saved Search.

Jerry
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: how to separate mail and phone message log

Hi Jerry,

I am looking to turn off new email message logging.  Thus I just want to see who called me recently (voice, caller id, etc.).  I do not want the "email message + subject" line.  This is true if you re-read my original post.

So far, the easy way for me is to delete all email account setup, and bingo, no email message header in the call logs (messages).  Unfortunately, when I do this, I am unable to send outgoing email. 

I prefer to use my personal BB for phone and sending email only.  Yes, it's true, I prefer to read email at a fullsize computer at this time. 

jujubefruit