Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: blackberry curve 8520
My Carrier: virgin

i have a bb8520....

Basically I got it for my birthday ages ago but I never used it because I was fine with my old mobile. So yesterday I get it out top up and all that- I'm not allowed contract until I'm 16-im 14 at the moment. So anyway I love youtube. Practically live on youtube and it won't let me comment to my favourite posts- I go to my old phone and you can comment there..
Is there a way I can fix this?
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: i have a bb8520....

Hello,

Sorry, but from your words, I cannot quite tell what your exact question is. Can you try again please?

If what you are asking is how to use your BB without any service plan from a carrier, then you will be severely limited in what you can do...most all services are provided to the device by virtue of the data plan from the carrier, even if you only use it via WiFi. BBs are very very different from non-BB devices...they cannot be compared in this regard.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Hey!!, sorry about that- I don't have BIS.....what can I not or can I do on my blackberry
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

I cannot recall specifically...many of them change in and out, but here's what you cannot do without BIS:

• Email
  • Web browsing via the included browser (in some cases you can, it depends on a number of factors)
  • FaceBook
  • Twitter
  • WhatsApp

I think there are bunch more...but, basically, if you try to do something and it doesn't work, then it's 99% likely that it requires BIS, even if you only use it via WiFi. A BB without BIS is a very hobbled device indeed.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Yeah thank you very much for your comment- it was very helpful.