Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry curve 8900
My Carrier: myself

i've locked myself out of my blackberry!!! HELP!!

i set a password on my blackberry curve 8900 and when i've tried to unlock it, i must have set the password wrong. it will not let me in. i'm on my final attempt and if i get it wrong it'll wipe everything. if it don't get it right, will it erase my sim and memory card too? and will i still be locked out afterwards?

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: i've locked myself out of my blackberry!!! HELP!!

Hi olivia,

There are a few options that I or others might suggest. But owing to the fact that its your last attempt, I recommend that the best option is to take it to a support centre or call up BB customer care service. First, You may first like to battery pull and take of your memory card may be.

Super Contributor
My Device: Xperia Ray
My Carrier: Dhiraagu Maldives

well, as far as I know, once you reached the maximum try... it will wipe out the whole data which are available with phone... + most of the time media card too.. so, best option is to pull out the memory card & try.. Smiley Happy

SIM contact won't get deleted as long as it's in SIM card memory... Smiley Happy

.RoCkInG dUdE.
Trust Your Technolust | Do not PM for any support
If a solution received, please hit on to show your support.
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry curve 8900
My Carrier: myself

thanksfor the advice, i'mpopping into town today so do you think i should take it into the orange shop or something, and should i take my SIM out too?

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Taking out the sim is not absolutely necessary. U may still need to attend calls till you reach the shop right :-). But before any valant attempt, take off the SIM to be on the safer side Smiley Happy

Super Contributor
My Device: Xperia Ray
My Carrier: Dhiraagu Maldives

oliviaaa597 wrote:

thanksfor the advice, i'mpopping into town today so do you think i should take it into the orange shop or something, and should i take my SIM out too?

not neccassary i think...

.RoCkInG dUdE.
Trust Your Technolust | Do not PM for any support
If a solution received, please hit on to show your support.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Note to all...in this situation, there is absolutely nothing anyone else can do. Only the proper password will unlock the BB. Failing that, it will wipe clean of all personal data. There is no "master" or "backdoor" password that anyone has to override and unlock it. Only the password that the user has created can unlock a BB.

As originally recommended, it's a pity that so many wait until the last try before seeking help...there are many things that can be attempted, but they are useless if the attempts are already exhausted. At this point, the BB will wipe clean and the user must start over again.

The thing that happens is that the password that is typed is not the same as was assigned to the BB lock. Even though the user thinks they are pressing the right keys, they are not sending the correct characters. The BB keyboard is so small that each key must do many different functions, and they change based on the various key modifiers (alt, caps, etc.). As a result, when the password is created on the BB, the user thinks they are typing one thing when they  actually are typing something completely different. At some point, that key modifier changes...and the characters being sent are no longer the same.

If the user had ever before tethered to their PC and entered the password, that could be done prior to the final try. It's the same counter regardless of input method.

Additionally, a batt-pull reboot can reset the keyboard modifiers back to default...that could allow proper password entry on the BB keyboard.

When the password is next created, pay very close attention to the actual characters that get sent when you do so...you may be surprised by what the actual characters are. You should get just a moment to see each character in the clear before it changes to a *.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Isabella

The 8900 already has a "Lock" key on the top left side. That is what you need to press to unlock a locked keyboard. No need to program a convenience key! From User Guide: Turn on standby mode If you are not on a call, you can turn on standby mode to avoid pressing keys accidentally when you are not using your BlackBerry® device. Press the Lock key on the top of your device. To turn off standby mode, press the Lock key again.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Isabella-JK wrote:

The 8900 already has a "Lock" key on the top left side. That is what you need to press to unlock a locked keyboard. No need to program a convenience key! From User Guide: Turn on standby mode If you are not on a call, you can turn on standby mode to avoid pressing keys accidentally when you are not using your BlackBerry® device. Press the Lock key on the top of your device. To turn off standby mode, press the Lock key again.

Hello,

Correct -- unless you want the better data protection that the password lock provides. IMHO, the device itself is a commodity. On the other hand, the data on the BB is priceless. Hence, protecting it (the data) from falling into unscrupulous hands is important...but requires more diligence and understanding on the part of the user so as to avoid the complications discussed in this thread.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8520
My Carrier: Orange

I did this today because I think I used up all my attempts. I tried to fix it by taking the battery out , that didn't fix it so I plugged it into my laptop to save everything onto there just in case and it came up for me to type my password in with 6/10attempts. I typed my password in it said there was nothing on the removable disk I couldn't even eject it because there was nothing there so I unplugged my phone and it let my type my password in. Hopefully this has fixed it I have locked my phone and typed my password in a few times , so fingers crossed ... Hope this works for you