Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Orange
Accepted Solution

import/export of contacts, calendar etc.

Hi,

I am in the process of transferring my data from my old Nokia to my new BB9900. I hope that the current version of the Desktop Software is something like version -1, because I consider it totally inadequate. I would expect that this software provides means to export/import contact and other data. This would allow to edit/update these data using more comfortable tools of my Mac instead of typing in any changes in my BB. However, nothing like this is available.

Furthermore, when backing up contact, calendar etc. is is rather nontransparent what's going on. The program seems to ignore the selection "calendar" or anything else and simply saves everything to my Mac. And this - see above - in a proprietary format which does not allow further use of these data.

Yes, this message addresses someone responsible @ rim. Simply for the fact that the site www.blackberry.com does not provide a link to "contacts" were one could send such complaints.

Regards - Bob

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: import/export of contacts, calendar etc.

Are you using any other programs besides the blackberry desktop manager?  if not, this could be an issue.

I referenced

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?externalId=KB05421&sliceId=2&cmd=displayKC&d...

and the device switch wizard doesn't list Nokia.

I'm not sure how this works, but can you use the Nokia suite

to move your nokia info to the computer then transfer it to the blackberry?

http://www.nokia.com/global/support/nokia-suite/

I referenced this link too:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7658594_synchronize-nokia-blackberry.html

The store is also an option for transferring all data from one phone to another.

@Wolf359

No, I am using just the Desktop Software for Mac. The Issue with the Nokia is a non-issue in this context. I had exported the contacts of my old Nokia as a csv file and had hoped that there would be some methods to import these contacts to my new BB. But it was just a hope. Reality looks different.

Let me further mention, that the BB Desktop Software created a mess with the contacts on my BB. Some of the contacts were repeated up to 10 times. And there were about 20 to 30 "Unnamed Contacts". Now idea were from the program got these enries.

Finally: Even before I started to use the desktop SW, it seems that BB fetched the contacts from my email address accounts - and probably did it again when I used the desktop SW. A rather nontransparent process, because its mentioned nowhere.

Regards - Robert

Forums Veteran III

Gotcha.  I'm not sure how you were trying to import the csv file.  Did you use this guide?

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?externalId=KB11194&sliceId=1&cmd=displayKC&d...

I also found this link since you're using a mac.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Desktop-Software-for-Mac/Re-How-to-Import-CSV-file-using-Mac-...

The email account issue... did you setup your email on the phone using the email setup application?  I'm trying to see how this could have happened and how to fix it.

If you have a good  csv file, you may have to start over if you didn't use the guide listed above.

Another option:

I had a similar issue.  I deleted all the contacts on the phone and ended up importing the csv file into gmail.  I setup my gmail account on the phone and all the contacts showed up on the device.  What email service are you using?

@Wolf359

Thank you for your help. For the moment I am happy. I cleaned the address-book entries manually and this will do it for some time. When coming back to the issue, I think the link you gave (http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Desktop-Software-for-Mac/Re-How-to-Import-CSV-file-using-Mac-...) will be very helpfull.

Just one last comment: From the addresses I found on my BB I got the impression, that it loaded the contact list from my gmail account. Now this list ist not my true list, because I use it only for specific things. It would certainly help if one could tell the software where to look for contacts instead of just going to all the mail accounts (?) currently defined - and this without telling so.

Regards

Robert

Forums Veteran III

Good point! I'm glad you're up and running.