Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 8700
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

initial login to BB PC desktop software

Firstly, I am the village **bleep**.  I have had a BB 8700 for quite some time and after a crash of my PC failedto download the BB desktop and have neglected to backup my phone.

I downloaded the BB PC desktop software and the software recognized my phone was connected (even gave me my BB PIN).  Everything worked smoothly until I was asked for my password.  I tried my password for my phone and that was not accepted.  I tried a few other variations to no avail.

I have no backup files, nothing at all to indicate what the password is/was.  This does not seem to be a "simple" problem.  Someone will have to go into the RIM database to reset my password there, give me a temporary one and then allow me to enter a new permanent password.

Who do I call in RIM to solve this problem?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: initial login to BB PC desktop software

Hi there -- I realize that it's been 2 weeks and I hope you already resolved it, but this requires clarification.

There is no password that anyone can give you to resolve this. The password to enter on the PC is the exact same password you use when your BB is password locked. But, the trick is in knowing what that password is.

Most times, the configuration of the BB keyboard can lead you think you are keying in certain characters but in reality you are keying in something else. The use of the alt, ctrl, caps, sym, or other key modifiers affects the actual resulting characters that get sent by your BB. You must know exactly those characters rather than just the BB keyboard keys you press...and replicate exactly those characters when you type your password on your PC keyboard.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: 8700
My Carrier: Rogers

Firstly, thank you for your response.  I was buried under an avalanche of emails and spam and only recently came up for air.

Your solution is COMPLETELY on target.

Well done !!!!!

Many thanks,

Eric

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

You are most welcome...enjoy!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................