Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9220
My Carrier: Globe Philippines
Accepted Solution

instant messaging won't work on wifi

I received my handset few months ago. I still have my iphone so it was not til last week when i remembered i have a blackberry and started using it. Unfortunately i am always having a hard time connecting my instant messaging using wifi. It will never work! For example whenever i try to log-in using my yahoo messenger i always get an error message saying that "Service not enables for this handheld". I am thinking maybe since it is a pre-installed application i should be able to use my IMs (esp. yahoo and google) using wifi like when you are using your iphone or android devices. So is there a problem on my phone because i can not use my IMs using wifi? By the way i am using BB curve 9220. Thanks!
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: instant messaging won't work on wifi

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

BlackBerry <> iPhone or Android

BlackBerry devices have proprietary services that require the subscription to an adequate data plan from your carrier, even if using those services via WiFi. I do not recall if the specific services you mention fall into that category or not, but you should ring up your service provider and talk to them about the exact services you wish to use, and then ensure you are subscribed to an adequate data plan from them so as to enable those services.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9220
My Carrier: Globe Philippines

Re: instant messaging won't work on wifi

thanks for the info! Smiley Happy maybe i should follow your advise and ask my service provider more about it.