Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

is there a way of updating the device software to a more current version

I have a blackberry pearl, an 8110 pearl and an 8310 curve.   want to put the max memory in them , can the device software be updated to higher versions than they currently have in order to support the larger memory cards?
Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

Re: is there a way of updating the device software to a more current version

Check with you carrier on availability of updates device OS. Get the update installed in your PC.

Check below steps for OS upgrade -

Step #1

Before starting make sure that BlackBerry Desktop Software is installed on the computer.

Step#2

Make sure that you have installed updated device software installed in your PC. Check this link to get update device software from carrier OS download site.

Step#3

Users can perform a full or selective backup of the data using the Backup and Restore tool in BlackBerry Desktop Manager by completing the following steps:

1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer running BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
  2. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
  3. Double-click Backup and Restore.
  4. Select Backup to perform a full backup or select Advanced to perform a backup of specific databases.
  5. Choose a location to save the backup file, then click Save.

Step#4

To perform a clean install of the BlackBerry Device Software, perform the following steps:

1. Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer and open BlackBerry Desktop Manager.
  2. Double-click the Application Loader icon.
  3. Click Next to start the installation process.
  4. Type your BlackBerry smartphone password, if prompted, and click OK.
  5. Click the check boxes next to the names of the applications you want to load, and then click Next.
  6. Click Advanced, and then click the check box beside Erase all currently installed applications.
  7. Click Next.
  8. Click the check box next to Do not automatically backup the application data during the loading process.
  9. Clear the box next to Backup and restore applications installed wirelessly.
  10. Click Next > Finish.
  11. When the process has completed, the message The loading operation was successful will appear. Click Close to return to BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Follwoing info on max media capacity by device OS versions -

BlackBerry Device Software                             Media Card Size Limit

BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0                                 Up to 2 GB

BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1                                 Up to 4 GB

BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2                                 Up to 4 GB

BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.0                                 Up to 8 GB

BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0                                 Up to 8 GB

BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0.81 and above              Up to 16 GB

BlackBerry Device Software 4.6.0                                 Up to 16 GB

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Please tell me what is the latest verson of device software for 8310 and from where to download it. I am using it via GSM.
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

muaeen wrote:
Please tell me what is the latest verson of device software for 8310 and from where to download it. I am using it via GSM.

hello muaeen,
please read :

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8300&thread.id=6807&jump=true

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

i have a 8310 and run the 4.2.2 does anyone know when att is going to have 4.5 os available. they say it is on their site but i cant find it