Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Sprint

keyboard is not working-screen will not unlock

Several of the keys on the keyboard will not work-I cannot unlock the phone using the passcode. Help- cannot get into my messages. Is there a way to disable the passcode or unlock the phone without the passcode.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: keyboard is not working-screen will not unlock

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

There is no way to bypass the user-created device lock password. There is no "master" or "override" password. Only the user created password, entered via the BB keyboard, can return the device to functionality. While you can, by tethering to a PC and entering the password via the PC keyboard, reset the password counter back to it's maximum, that does not actually unlock the device for on-device usage...only for USB tether usage. If the keyboard is, as you say, totally unresponsive, then all hope may be lost...hopefully you've been practicing good backup routines so as to protect yourself from exactly this type of catastrophic failure.

Best!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Bell

I have a z30 and am having this problem. I have re-booted and still, no key board. A reboot has worked in the past, but I've tried re-booting 6 times already with leaving the power off for various langths of time. Any suggestions?

Sam

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Which methods of reboot have you tried? There are several...each for different purposes...

Do I assume you touch in the field entry area, and no keyboard appears?

How long do you wait at boot up? Sometimes my Z30 will take a while before it's "ready" for me to do anything.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................