Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

lock button not working

I have a BB Bold 9700 and after I did a software upgrade ( to v5.0.0.743) my lock feature will not work. Previously, If i were to click the lock button at the top left, the phone would lock and would display my user information which I created. The top right button (mute key) would thus put the phone into standby mode. Now, when I click the top left (lock) button, the phone goes into standby, and when I click the top right (mute) button, nothing happens. I loved having my user information displayed when the phone was not in use. Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can get around it? I tried turning on the password (which I do not like using) and turning it off again as well as doing a battery pull. Nothing changed.

Help me!

Regular Contributor

Re: lock button not working

new implementation by RIM.

working as designed.

you'll have to revert back to the 5.0.0.4xx OS's if you want that top button lock and standbys.

**bleep**ty!

is there no other way?

how do I revert back?

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

gaelanlove wrote:

**bleep**ty!

is there no other way?

how do I revert back?

1. Delete the newer OS from your PC by going to Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs.

2. Then download and install the older version of the OS. BlackBerry Operating System Downloads

3. Install the older OS to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
4. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
5. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code

I am really new to blackberry so i didnt try the lock/unlock button and the mute button before and i just upgraded the OS before i flew to US for business. When i discovered that i cannot lock the keypad by going through the menu button, i did some research and ended up realising that there is a lock button (and a mute button too -gasp-

Now that i know, i discover new set of problems - there is simply no respond when i tap either of these 2 buttons. And also, even before i upgraded the OS, the right assign key does not work (no matter what applications i assign it to)...

Anyone faced this problem before?

My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: vodacom

I am having the same problem. When I press the lock button on the top left of my phone,it goes dark/ standby mode for a few seconds and then its comes out of standby without it being locked. I really don't know what to do,plz help.
Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

You can set a password to the device, for one solution.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Super Contributor
My Device: Classic, Passport
My Carrier: T-Mobile CZ

Hi.

You are a victim of the most stupid change, which RIM made in the last OS upgrade. I hate it as well.

My Carrier: Tmobile

a solution: you can go into options under screen/keyboard and set the "left side convienience key option" to password lock and use that button instead.

Super Contributor
My Device: Classic, Passport
My Carrier: T-Mobile CZ

Kay, your solution is not a good one for two reasons:

1. if you only activate the password, the keyboard is not locked

2. you waste one configurable button on your handheld because of somebodies stupid decision in RIM