Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: curve 8350
My Carrier: virgin mobil
Accepted Solution

media card encryption password

Hey I was wondering if anyone has had this issue and resolved it without spending hours on hold for tech support...

So, after having to do a total wipe, my media card has now been encrypted.

It only seems to affect music and other media file storage, that sort of thing.

so whenever I try to sync anything, I cant access it, and I get this message.

"A media card has been inserted that contains encrypted files. Please enter the device password that was used to protect these files:  "

The problem is; the password I was using before it was wiped must've been, well, wiped....AAAARRGGG!

So it doesn't recognize any password I used previously as valid...

Anyone know a quick fix for a curve smartphone?

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: media card encryption password

You can go to Options > Security  > Password and turn off the encryption.

If you've tried that and and still no good, then you're stuck with the encrypted and unusable files.

Sorry.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok...so basically you're saying there is no way to ever upload music, pics, videos or anything EVER? 

I tried exactly that like a million times with no luck...

After spending $200 on a phone there has to be a solution, but thanks for the answer.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

WOOOO_HOOOO! 

I found the solution...  I kinda feel a little stupid that it took me 11 days to figure this one out but when the "advice" available from the help pages is so vague, I guess you're left to your own devices...

K so, all you have to do if you find your media card encrypted...and you went into options - security options encryption and clicked disable and it still does not work....

Go to options - security options - security wipe, and you will have three options to wipe - it will ask you; emails and contacts (which is automatically checked, UNCHECK IT!), user installed apps, and media card...make sure the first two are NOT checked and DO check media card then click the wipe button. 

After you do that you will need to re-sync your blackberry using the desktop software installer, make sure you open up all the options to re-sync (calendars, contacts, etc.) and thats all you need to do....music, photos and videos should all be restored!

Oh and btw, simply turning on your firewall should usually be sufficient to protect your phone from being hacked, ...obviously you would have to turn it on manually...it seems most people don't and thats what gets them into trouble in the first place...btw this advice is only for the 8530 curve smartphone series as far as I know anyway...not sure if this will work for other models.

My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300
My Carrier: Koodo

OMG THANK YOU A BILLION YEARS, YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I HAVE TRIED TO DO THIS. I WENT TO MY PHONE COMPANY AND I CALLED AND STILL NO HELP. I THANK YOU VERY VERY VERY MUCH. THANK YOU IS JUST ISNT ENOUGH. 

AND I HAVE A BLACKBERRY CURVE 9300, IT WORKS FOR THAT TOOO.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU <3

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry curve 9360
My Carrier: t-mobile

hello sorry, what do you mean by 're-syncing' my blackberry using the desktop software installer? could you dumb it down for me please x

georgiasnelly wrote:
hello sorry, what do you mean by 're-syncing' my blackberry using the desktop software installer? could you dumb it down for me please x

Connect your BlackBerry to the PC and run the BlackBerry Desktop Software and sync your data to outlook or whatever method you those.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

but i had had wiped my memory card without backing it up or syncing it before so will it still work?

georgiasnelly,

Would you please explain in detail what your issue is and what you're trying to achieve?

You're posting in an old thread. I don't want to take for granted what you intending to do.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

ok.. so i had a blackberry ages ago and stupidly put a password to protect my memory card, then i had different phones that i didnt need to have the password to get to the files on the memory card, but now i have a blackberry again, im not able to access the files.

so i followed your steps not knowing what blackberry desktop software was and i completely wiped my memory card not backing the memory card up on anything so i went to retrieve the files back on this stupid website which i sat through for 2 hours and at the end it said, to access your files, buy the subscription or whatever (ANNOYING) so is there a way from my situation i can get my files back onto the card without having a back up?