Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

menu button not working

Good Afternoon,

all of a sudden my blackberry button on the bottom of the phone stopped working, one second it was working and the next it wasn't.  I have tried removing and replaceing the battery a couple of times with no success.  All the other buttons and the touch screen seem to be working properly.  Any Ideas???  I must say I thought I was insulated from all the problems everyone else was having.  I guess it'sy turn.

Signed Dismayed

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: menu button not working

Hi there!

When you did the batt-pulls, was the BB ON (e.g., with the homescreen showing)? If not, do it that way.

Otherwise -- are you feeling any click at all when you press the button? If not, then it's probably a hardware issue requiring warranty evaluation with your carrier/place-of-purchase.

Best!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

I have pulled the battery and the keyboard still clicks when I push on it, normal feel etc. it's just that nothing happens, is there away to access under that button or would rebooting back to the previous version help??
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Wait -- the keyboard clicks? The keyboard has nothing to do with the BBKey...

And yes, you did the batt-pull -- but my question was the state of your BB when you removed the battery...it makes a difference.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Highlighted
Contributor

The BB clicks just like the rest of the bottom keys and by pulling the battery when asking that do you mean is it at the home screen?? meaning to me the start up screen???
Hall of Famer III

OK...the BBKey clicks like normal and just like the other 3 hard keys. Check.

The homescreen is the screen with all of the icons displayed...email, options, media, etc. etc. etc. (Homescreen is the official term.) However many rows of icons you've configured for, that's the screen to best be on when you pull the battery. Some people press the red power button and power down first before pulling the battery -- this is not the recommended method. With the homescreen displayed, that's the recommended state to be in when pulling the battery. I just want to be certain that the batt-pulls you've done were with the BB in that state...otherwise, the batt-pulls may not have been as useful for the problem.

Contributor

ok I will try that one more time, I think I have been doing that also is it possible to inadvertantly lock that button somehow???
Hall of Famer III

If the button malfunctions and the batt-pop reboot (in the manner I've described) doesn't fix it, then it's a hardware issue that can only be remedied by warranty evaluation/repair/replacement. No, the buttons are not supposed to lock down (or up, or sideways)...they are supposed to work the "normal" way at all times...otherwise would indicate a hardware-level malfunction.