Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: o2

mep number

i recentl bought blackberry curve 8520, my sim is on o2 it says i need a mep number plz help

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: mep number

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please describe the exact steps you take that result in the message, along with the exact and complete message, including all punctuation. Depending on what you say, your resolution path could be one of several...

Thanks and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................

ok i put my o2 sim card in the blackberry loaded up.it did the following.......loaded up then on screen message says......your current sim card requires an unlock code. would you like to unlock it yes or no options

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Ahhh...that's completely different than what I could have assumed from your earlier post of "mep"! You need to contact whoever you obtained the SIM card from for the SIM unlock code.

Now, this is still assuming something...your 8520, is it new? And did you obtain it from O2? If you obtained it somewhere else, then this could still be a carrier lock (mep) question...if this is the case (e.g., you purchased your new BB from somewhere else, but now want to run it on O2), then please review this helpful thread:

Still, there is another possibility...is this 8520 not new? If so, then you have even more work to look into:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

If the seller did not complete ALL of their steps properly, it is possible that this BB will never be able to function on any network anywhere.

Good luck and let us know!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................

if i click on yes it then says.......enter network mep code(6 left)

Hall of Famer III

[ Edited ]

neilbailey wrote:

if i click on yes it then says.......enter network mep code(6 left)

OK..that is now starting to sound like the 2nd or 3rd portions of my prior post (as opposed to the pure SIM Lock guess)...please review that post and tell me exactly your situation in regards to where/how you obtained this BB. New or used? From O2 or not?

purchased the fone from sum1 out of the paper

Hall of Famer III

Uh oh...I hope you didn't pay much.

OK...first off, you need to do the middle part of post 4 above...obtain an MEP unlock code. It will not be free.

Then you need to see if you can even proceed with moving forward with this BB...if, as in the link in the 3rd part of that post above, the seller did not properly complete all of their steps in that KB, then you may never be able to get this BB working at all. For instance, if the BB was reported as lost or stolen, then no carrier will be able to enable it to function on their network. Further, if the BB remains registered to some carrier BIS system somewhere in the world, then your carrier will be unable to provide you with any data services.

So, proceed with what you must do...and hope for the best. Or, if the seller represented your BB as already being unlocked, then you have recourse with them since it is not so. Hopefully they are honest.

Good luck!