Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Blackberry Curve 8330
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

message from RIM to Blackberry messenger owners

I got a forwarded BBM message from a couple of my friends today saying this :

Hello, greetings from RIM (Research In Motion) proprietors of BlackBerry. This message is to inform all of our users, that our servers have recently been really full, so we are asking for your help to fix this problem. We need our active users to re-send this message to everyone on your contact list inorder to confirm our active users that use BlackBerry Messenger, if you do not send this message to all your BlackBerry Messenger contacts then your account will remain inactive with the consequence of losing all your contacts.

We apologize for the inconvenience but this is the only way possible to resolve this problem. Sincerely Research in Motion. For more information visit:
www.blackberry.com/inactiveuser

Is there any truth to this? I checked the Blackberry link and got a message saying the page was not found.

My Device: Blackberry Curve 8330
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: message from RIM to Blackberry messenger owners

nevermind i found my answer somewhere else!! lol

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi there,

It's a pity you didn't post the answer you found...I'm sure that others who come across this thread would benefit by it. But, here is RIM's official words (as posted on their FB page):

We are seeing reports that people have received an email claiming to be from RIM and encouraging them to broadcast a message over BBM (BlackBerry Messenger). This message isn't from RIM. Please don't broadcast the message to your BBM contacts. We are on the case. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Carefully reading the original message you received reveals, of course, the fallacy of the attempt -- to say that their servers are already overloaded and then to request everyone to send a message over those same overloaded servers...well, even RIM is smarter than that.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 9360
My Carrier: Bell

My favourite is the technical term they use "really full"

This is very much a hoax.

A hoax message circulating on BlackBerry Messenger (BBM) asks users to forward on the BBM message to their contacts in order to maintain BBM service, and claims to have been originally sent by Research In Motion (RIM).  

Rest assured that this BBM message did not originate from RIM and that it does not impact the security of BlackBerry smartphones. It is simply a hoax chain message. Unfortunately, many social networking applications face this scenario, whereby any message, including a hoax message, can be forwarded to a user from one of their contacts. We recommend that users simply ignore the message and do not forward it.

English version of illegitimate broadcast message:

Hello, greetings from RIM (Research In Motion) proprietors of BlackBerry. This message is to inform all of our users, that our servers have recently been really full, so we are asking for your help to fix this problem. We need our active users to re-send this message to everyone on your contact list in order to confirm our active users that use BlackBerry Messenger, if you do not send this message to all your BlackBerry Messenger contacts then your account will remain inactive with the consequence of losing all your contacts.

We apologize for the inconvenience but this is the only way possible to resolve this problem. Sincerely Research in Motion. For more information visit:
www.blackberry.com/inactiveusers

Spanish version of illegitimate broadcast message:

Hola, reciban un cordial saludo de parte de Research In Motion propietarios de la marca BlackBerry. Este mensaje es para informarle que nuetros servidores han estado ultimamente muy  llenos, asi que porfavor requerimos de su ayuda para mejorar este problema. Por lo tanto necesitamos que reenvieen este mensaje a toda su lista de contactos para asi poder comprobar los usuarios activos de BlackBerry Messenger, de lo contrario de no enviar este mensaje a toda su lista de contactos, su BlackBerry Messenger quedara como inactivo teniendo como consequencia la perdida de todos su contactos.

Disculpen las molestias pero es asi la unica manera de resolver este grave problema. Sinceramente Research In Motion. Para mas informacion visiten: www.blackberry.com