Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9350 Storm
My Carrier: Verizon

mms missing

I bought 2 blackberry storm 9350 one from Amazon and one from ebay. Both arrived new in the box. One was made in Canada, and one was made in Mexico. Only one of them has mms. Why does the same model have different capabilities. And, is there anything I can do to get mms on the second phone. I want my husband and I to have the same capabilities on our phones. I was unable to buy 2 from the same dealer.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: mms missing

Hello,

Knowing nothing more than what you have told us, all I can say is that one of those may have been delivered to you but was actually used before (regardless of the apparent condition of the box). Either that, or only one of them is properly registered to your carrier data network.

The place of manufacture is irrelevant. MMS requires a Service Book to function, and Service Books are delivered to the device from the carrier data network when you subscribe to an adequate plan so as to enable the services you desire. Truly brand new BBs have no Service Books on them, and receive them once properly activated on the carrier network. Used BBs that have not been properly cleansed could have Service Books left on them from the prior owner (along with a whole host of other potential issues with used BBs not being properly prepared for resale).

The first question is -- are other voice-level services (e.g., phone calls, voice mail, SMS) working fine from your intended carrier? If so, then they are at least properly unlocked from any alternate carrier that they may have been previously tied to.

The next steps are these. With a strong carrier network signal (e.g., not merely WiFi), I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Resend Service Books

• KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Reboot

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.
  • See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you should contact your mobile service provider for formal support.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: 9350 Storm
My Carrier: Verizon

Thanks, I think my own brain has a memory leak. Anyway I have not yet activated the phone or data service on either phone yet...just have not had time....I assume I have to go to a Verizon store to do it. Both phones are supposed to be Verizon ready, but inside one of them I see that T Mobile is the one it is set for even though the back of the case says Verizon. The phone is supposed to be unlocked whatever that means.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

mwvlaw2k3 wrote:
Thanks, I think my own brain has a memory leak. Anyway I have not yet activated the phone or data service on either phone yet...just have not had time....I assume I have to go to a Verizon store to do it.

Ah yes, the functionality of any services of course requires being activated on the carrier network. I am surprised that the one device can function for MMS however...then again, you didn't exactly say that in your initial post, I merely assumed it from the words you used. I could have been wrong.

So yes do proceed getting both devices activated before you concern yourself with the functionality of any services. They should be able to do it in a VZW store.

mwvlaw2k3 wrote:
Both phones are supposed to be Verizon ready, but inside one of them I see that T Mobile is the one it is set for even though the back of the case says Verizon.

I don't quite understand that...how exactly are you seeing that one is set for TMO?

mwvlaw2k3 wrote:
The phone is supposed to be unlocked whatever that means.

When every BB device is originally manufactured, it is locked to one specific carrier in the world, and cannot function on any other carrier until it is unlocked. Even then, it still can only be used on carriers that use radio frequencies/technologies with which it is capable of supporting. You can read up more about that here:

You can often determine the carrier for which a BB was originally manufactured for by the initial boot-up splash screen...many carriers have BB place a splash screen for the carrier into the boot-up sequence. It is important to understand that, even properly unlocked, that carrier splash screen (if it exists) will always display at boot up, regardless of the state of unlocking or the carrier on which you are actually using the device.

Based on what you've described, it's possible that one of your devices was manufactured for VZW and the other for TMO. If, by what you said, you were referring to the splash screens as indication of carrier, and one of those shows TMO, then indeed that one was originally manufactured for TMO, and they have simply changed the case/housing/etc. to one with VZW stickers. Such is, IMHO, a bit of a deceptive practice. Hopefully you will have no troubles getting these activated on VZW.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Hall of Famer III

PS -- I think I will stop answering here. I just discovered that you have two threads going on this same topic, and that's just too confusing to try and help with. I'll leave you to the other thread and the other poster in that thread who is helping you.

Good luck.