Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BB BOLD 9930
My Carrier: VERIZON
Accepted Solution

more SPAM

I don't understand why BB can't have the same SPAM filter processes as Gmail. Or is it that BB can't control what happens at the carrier? Gmail SPAM filter seems to work with any carrier.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: more SPAM

If you connect to GMail with your BB you only get what makes it into your inbox so the GMail spam filter is still in effect.

Any email address used has to have spam blocked at the mailbox level, not the device level. This is by design. If the device blocked it you would still have to pay for the data used.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

I see you already have a thread topic on this. Please don't create multiple threads on the same issue. It gets confusing for everyone.

As I mentioned in the other thread you should move away from the blackberry.carrier email accounts as they are being discontinued soon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

no need to get huffy, the address is @vzw.blackberry.net and it is not going to be discontinued anytime soon.

Guru II

I'm not huffy. Creating multiple threads creates confusion, as it did here when you didn't specify that you were using a carrer.blackberry.net address. I only found that info when I read your other thread.

You will lose the email account when the 9930 is no longer available. If you have to move to a BB10 device you will no longer have access to the mail and will have to forward it (for one year only.

Also, it is not recommended to use that email address for your BlackBerry ID (I don't know if you are but thought I'd just let you know) since there is no webmail access to the account.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB33260

http://crackberry.com/blackberry-offering-one-year-forwarding-services-blackberrynet-email-accounts

New Contributor

OK, apologies, your info is very valuable. I incorrectly thought I would get more info by posting more Q's. Won't do it again. So, when you mention BB ID you mean like John24@so-and-so right? And you mention that when the 9930 is retired the "@vzw.blackberry.net" will no longer be available? My BB ID is Gmail account. Can you tell me what Verizon has for the address section of the email using a Z10, the part after the "@". Thanks.

Guru II

There is no @carrier.blackberry.net email for BB10 devices. As I mentioned, you can forward your previous carrier email to another email account for one year, after which you'll lose access to it.

I recommend creating an Outlook.com email account and using that with the BB10 devices.

New Contributor

This is interesting because when I got the BB Vrizon ssaid the most secure and quickest email would be using verizon's, or @vzw.blackberry.net. Then I was using Gmail and found it just as fast (maybe faster) and had a better spam filter. I'm thinking of changing all my contacts to a Gmail or Outlook account. One last Q, when do you think the 9930 will be gone? My contract's up in November '14. Thanks.

Highlighted
Guru II

GMail is OK. However, if you're going to make a switch I highly recommend going Outlook.com. GMail has been slowly discontinuing their services like Exchange Active Sync. Outlook.com still utilizes Exchange Active Sync which works better on ALL types of mobile devices, including BB10. On the 9930 GMail may still be the best, though.

As for when the 9930 will be gone, I don't know. BlackBerry is still making them because they are so popular. I think they will continue to offer them until they can launch something that becomes as popular. They are introducing the BlackBery Passport and BlackBerry Classic (supposedly a 9900 replacement in BB10 form) this fall so time will tell.