Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

mp3.rem files

Why have my ringtones acquired the extension .rem? Three ringtones I downloaded from T-mobile were working fine when I first installed them. Now they have ceased working. When I checked the directory of the card, I found that they have changed from .mp3 files to .mp3.rem files. They are no longer recognizable by the phone or the computer, and deleting the .rem extension does not help.

New Contributor

Re: mp3.rem files

I just had the exact same thing happen and i've had my phone for almost a yr. the software had to have been automaticaly updated via our internet to make these changes!!!! Do u have veriZon?

Me too. Has anyone cracked this yet?

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

did you buy those mp3 on a website? Which one?

In my opinion, those tracks contain DRM that make them usable only on the device on which you downloaded them. You can thank the RIAA about that.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: Bold Onyx 3
My Carrier: Cell C

My Blackberry is doing it with pictures as well. They have all of the sudden stopped working and when I checked them,they have a jpg,rem file extension
At 1st I thought it was a virus but now I know it has to do with RIM and Its software. If anyone knows what's happening before we can take further steps
Guru I

hello skarlosm,

Please read this article from the public knowledge base:

KB11963 How to change the setting for Content Protection on the BlackBerry smartphone

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: Bold Onyx 3
My Carrier: Cell C

Hi Xandrex

My problem has nothing to do with Encryption.I have enabled the feature, put a password and tried to access my files, but the problem remain, not only on my OS 7.1 but it does the same on my friend's OS 7.1 ... I rea lised that yesterday and thought it was virus related, but then since more people will be experiencing the problem. I would say it will be software related. I have ruled out OS 7.1 at the moment and not sure if everyone having the .rem file format is using OS 7.1
Guru I

the .rem file renaming means that the BlackBerry device has protected it with encryption.

to decrypt the file, you have to use the same device and same password as the ones that encrypted them in the first place.

My Device: Bold 9650 (non-camera)
My Carrier: Sprint

Yes, a .rem file is a file that's been encrypted by the Blackberry when the user has turned encryption on. It can't show up on it's own. Removing the extension won't do anything. BBOS encryption settings are located in Options>Security>Encryption.

Are these files on your media card? If so, and the mode originally used to protect the media card was "Device Password," the media card files will be accessible in any BlackBerry if you know the password that was used to encrypt the card. Take out the card and put it back in (or restart the Blackberry) to see if a prompt appears to enter the password originally used to encrypt the card. If the card files were originally encrypted using either of the other two modes ("Device Key" or "Device Passsword & Device Key"), the files will only be accessible in the Blackberry that they were encrypted in ... so long as that Blackberry has not been subjected to a security wipe. If the card was encrypted using the "Device Password" mode, and you don't know the password, a company called Elcomsoft makes software that can be used to brute force the media card and obtain the password. If the BlackBerry that was used to encrypt the card has undergone a security wipe, and the card was encrypted using one of the modes that uses a Device Key, the only way I can think of that might give access to the encrypted files involves a backup you made when the card was in use with those settings. I haven't tried this, but I would think if you loaded a backup from the time the card was encrypted with those settings and remembered the password in use at that time, you might actually get access to the files, as the backup has the content protection keys, etc. to make it all work.