Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: storm 9530
Accepted Solution

my own videos are not formatted for this device?

Please can anyone help me.. I've owned my storm for about a month now.. So far everything has been great.. Until about two days ago when I was at nickelback concert.. The video I shot.. Wouldn't play.. I got an error that said this video can't be played it isn't formatted for this device.. Someone please help.. I can't get hold of support. And can't get to Verizon store at the moment as I have a broken ankle at the moment.. Ugh.
M@î)€N¤
Super Contributor
My Device: Storm II 9550 OS 5.0
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: my own videos are not formatted for this device?

Hi.This has been an acknowledged problem by RIM. It is a bug that hopefully is fixed with the long awaited for software upgrade. See the link below for article.The workaround however does not work either.

The best thing to do for now is to use the media sync from the desktop software. Transfer your video to your pc and it should play in windows media player or the like. If you still want the video on your storm, you can transfer it back and use the optimize for playback option which should convert it to mp4.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB17020

If I or any one else helps resolve your issue, please click the KUDOS!!

REMEMBER TO RESOLVE YOUR THREAD! PLEASE ALWAYS CHECK THE ACCEPTED SOLUTION ON THE POST THAT RESOLVES YOUR PROBLEM SO OTHERS MAY USE IT TOO!
New Contributor
My Device: storm 9530

thank you dearly for your reply,.. i did try the workaround lol.. my phone froze and am currently doing a battery pull.. geez.. do you know when we are supose to get the upgrade?
M@î)€N¤
Super Contributor
My Device: Storm II 9550 OS 5.0
My Carrier: Verizon

You're welcome. Mine froze too trying it. The update keeps getting pushed up. Latest word is sometime late this month. We shall see.
If I or any one else helps resolve your issue, please click the KUDOS!!

REMEMBER TO RESOLVE YOUR THREAD! PLEASE ALWAYS CHECK THE ACCEPTED SOLUTION ON THE POST THAT RESOLVES YOUR PROBLEM SO OTHERS MAY USE IT TOO!
My Device: Not Specified

I've had the Storm since the beginning of the year and only tried taking video last night at my nieces b-day dinner and had the same problem (unsupported file format). I then tried to play the Babylon A.D video and got the same msg!!!!! This after playing it many times before........Frustrating. So I removed the battery and re-installed. That seemed to do the trick...................for now. Hopefully the fix comes soon from RIM
Highlighted
New Contributor

Ok, I'm having video problems too...  What did you re-install?  MP4 is not being recognized, even from the Desktop Manager productions.  It DOES the Babylon AD vid, but that is the only vid it does.  I can record and play any video, so THAT isn't the option.  Any other suggestions?

Appreciation in advance.

Re: my own videos are not formatted for this device? SOMETIMES IT WORKS

I have the same problem with my storms video camera.  The two videos I shot that are longer than 21 minutes, will not play back or convert to MP4 on my PC.

But the 6 or 7 videos I shot that are less than 6 minutes all playback and convert.

I do not know where the bad video threshold is, but if you figure it out let me know.