Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

need help with internal memory. please read

[ Edited ]

i've had the storm for about 3 months and im really frustrated and confused because dont know how else to use it other than as a phone and checking emails. i want to use it as a PDA but i dont know how!  i tried downloading applications but after 4 apps, it would tell me that the phone has no more memory to download any more.  i'm pretty sure the storm is made to have more than 4 apps, so i know im doing something wrong.  please help...i would like to make the most out of this phone bc i like it.

thanks in advance

p.s. ive also tried to transfer the apps to the external memory card but i cant figure out how.  the only thing i can put on the external memory are music files.

Message Edited by nayberry on 09-13-2009 05:03 PM
New Contributor

Re: Memory help

[ Edited ]
Message Edited by nayberry on 09-13-2009 05:05 PM
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Memory help

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

There are three types of potential memory on a BB: 1) Application Memory, 2) Device Memory, and 3) Media/SD Card Memory

Application Memory -- This is the most crucial; it is the protected (not user accessible), dedicated, and fixed (in size) space that is available as the destination for the installation of applications (plus some application storage, overhead and such). You cannot touch AppMemory. You cannot improve the maximum AppMemory that your BB has. It is what it is. Applications can only install here...there is no option.

Device Memory -- This is space on your BB that you can touch to store files, pictures, media, etc. Typically, it is not terribly large, but it is available to you.

SD/Media Card Memory -- This is what it says...your SD card, for you to store files, media, pictures, etc. It can be as large as your BB OS can support...see this KB:
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB05461

On some devices/OS levels, Device Memory and Application Memory are combined into "File Free"...these are, IMO, a little harder to administer as you really can't see well just how much AppMemory you have. Nevertheless, here are some guidelines to use:

Lastly, it is always important to properly close applications when you are done with them. Using the Back or the Red key will not do this -- those leave it to the app to decide what to do...and some will leave themselves resident in memory, consuming resources on your BB, slowing the overall performance. Rather, to close an app, press the BBKey and select "Close" or "Exit"...that will force the application to be closed, freeing up for your new use the resources it was consuming. Some apps will always remain running (typically -- BBMessenger, Browser, Homescreen, Phone, and Messages)...but, you should still close them properly - especially the Browser...if it is left on an active web page, it will not only consume extra resources but battery power as well.

Concerning using your BB as a PDA, you may have to give us a bit more information about exactly what you desire to accomplish. Or perhaps this article will be of help:

• KB17022 How to configure organizer applications for synchronization using BlackBerry Desktop Manager

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Re: need help with internal memory. please read

thanks for your reply, but sorry im quite a newbie and i'm still confused.  does this mean that with hundreds and hundreds of applications from the appworld, i can only download 4-5 of them for my phone? i've seen people with tons of applications on their phone...there must be something that i'm doing wrong.

this is what it's saying on my phone:

Application Memory: 

Free Space:          10.7MB

Device Memory

Total Space:        879.2MB
    Free Space:        874.8MB

Media Card

Total Space:        7.3GB

Free Space:         7.1GB

As you can see, i barely have anything on this phone and i would like to make it more useful.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Your AppMemory is very low...I recommend the following:

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

See what your free AppMemory increases to. You might have to do this on an occaisional basis -- some do so once a day just to keep things as clean as possible. Others (like me) use an app called Quick Pull to simulate a batt-pull reboot once per day.

As for how many apps it can handle -- that is not an answerable question. It depends on the size of the apps. Larger apps = fewer can be installed. Smaller apps = more can be installed. So it's really not possible to state that only 4 or 5 apps can be installed.

Best!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

thanks!!! i just did what you said and the memory increased by 10GB.  i will now download that program you've just mentioned. 

Hall of Famer III

Your AppMemory increased by 10GB? You must have a very hybrid device since the Storm has fixed AppMemory of 128MB... Smiley Tongue I'm sure you meant to say that it increased by 10MB (to ~20MB) ..

Cheers!

Highlighted
New Contributor

hahah yah i meant 10MB.  thanks!!