Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: vodafone
Accepted Solution

need some help im a newbie

Hi people I have just got my new blackberry bold9900 i got this phone privatley and not thru a service provider, im using this on vodafone but i cant seem to get my personel hotmail account setup keeps asking me for activation password?? people are saying about bis? I have a package with vodafone 600mins unlimited texts and 500mb data but i dont have the blackberry sock i thought this is only if u want to use bbm and have a blackberry email account? do u have to pay the extra to received your personnel emails from hotmail? I dont want to pay the extra 5 pounds a mth as i wouldnt use the bbm and email i just want my bold to be able to recieve my hotmail emails thanks in advance

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: need some help im a newbie

You can only set up email accounts on your 9900 if you have BIS.  Let me explain further.

BIS, or BlackBerry Internet Service is a service provided by BlackBerry through your carrier which allows for the use of BlackBerry technology.  One feature of this technology is "push" email.  Once you have BIS on your account, your phone will set itself up so that emails from your Hotmail account will be "pushed" to your phone.  This means that when the Hotmail server receives an email for your account, BIS will send it to your phone almost immediately.  If your phone does not detect BIS on your account, it will not allow you the option to set up your Hotmail account to have emails pushed to it.

However, do not worry if you don't want to spend the extra money for BIS.  You can still log in to your Hotmail account from your phone to check for updates but you'll have to do this manually, your phone will not send emails automatically.

I hope this clears things up for you.  Please post back with any more questions you have.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: vodafone

Re: need some help im a newbie

im really certain i was able to do this on my 9500 storm without paying for bis but thank you you have cleared it up