Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000

newbie question- calendar/contact sync

I am shopping for a new phone, and will likely convert from a WM device (Treo) to the Bold when it arrives.  I will need to use BIS for my personal mail, and my company will not allow personal devices to access the internal network for mail/calendar.

Will I be able to do a plug-in sync of my contacts and calendar from Outlook using desktop?  I will not be able to keep the PC on all the time to use desktop for push update, but I would like to be able to do a regular plug in sync.  Is Desktop Software the way to go with this?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Super Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: newbie question- calendar/contact sync

The Desktop software is technically capable of doing it yes.  However, if your company has a policy restricting personal devices from accessing the internal network, that policy may also extend to accessing it using the desktop software as well.  The issues involved are not just the network security, but the security of company information as well.  When the BlackBerry is linked via a corporate BES server, there are ways of ensuring the data is secured that are not available when you use your personal device and the BIS. 

I recommend you verify that this method of access is acceptable to your IT and Legal depts.

Otherwise, if you happened to leave your BlackBerry on the coffee table of your girlfriend who used to be married to a Hell's Angel, you could be in trouble......  Smiley Wink

posted by DigitalFrog
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9000

Re: newbie question- calendar/contact sync

My Treo is currently syncing with my Outlook contacts and calendar, so I merely need to know about the functionality of the software.  I appreciate your response, but let me worry about my employer and its network rules, thanks.