Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: 9520
My Carrier: Vodafone Spain

Re: no BIS over wifi

to make thinks worse, today came a family to my house with a movistar blackberry and it works without problems on my wifi.

a disgrace.

New Contributor
My Device: BOLD 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

Hi all...

The good news are that I'm not alone on this... Really relaxing...

I'm runing a BOLD 9700 with OS v5.0.0.656 (platform 5.1.0.153), recently upgraded indeed. My carrier is vodafone SPAIN as well, and I was getting crazy.

My BIS link over wifi was working really good all around the world (I travel too much) as well as over 3G, EDGE and GPRS. But on June 8th, BIS link became unreacheable over any WIFI network... ANY. Mine, and so many others I tried.

And I say BIS link literally, because rcp.eu.blackberry.com:443 is reacheable at TCP/IP level, and application level (ping works great, as well as telnet does) from any of the mentioned WIFI networks, but I always get the same "Blackberry Infraestructure: Login error" status.

The fact is that my data price plan is the full one. No limits. No changes from the begining of the contract.

I've read many forums and as someone said it's not a local problem. I've read post from all around the world reporting the same problem, starting almost the same day.

Obviusly something's going wrong out there, and someone should become informed about all of this. If, finally, it is confirmed to be a "cuasi" illegal action taken from VODAFONE Spain, we should claim for some kind of compensation, since I can't  be far away from home without BIS link, link that I get over 3G on roaming, which means MONEY.

Do blackberry support staff read this forum? I hope so.

We'll keep on enjoying our fantastic smartphone WITHOUT wifi in the meantime.

regards...

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

jorsan wrote:

Do blackberry support staff read this forum? I hope so.

Regarding that question...these forums are a user-to-user support channel, not a user-to-RIM conduit. As such, it is unlikely that they will see what you have written. Front line support for BB's is, by contract, not provided by RIM nor these forums. The carriers and authorized resellers are responsible for front line formal support to end users. It is possible to bypass your carrier and seek assistance direct from RIM, but such involves fees since you are bypassing your support agreement with your carrier. The "Support and Services" tab toward the top of these forum pages provide information about that. But, if you do go through your carrier for support, they can escalate into RIM at no fee to you if they so choose to.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor
My Device: 9520

The last email received from Vodafone, they told me that they didn't change anything, so why they want to blame RIM for this WIFI problem?

Contributor
My Device: 8520

joalmoju wrote:

The last email received from Vodafone, they told me that they didn't change anything, so why they want to blame RIM for this WIFI problem?

I agree. Have talked once again with Vodafone "technical assistance" just to waste my time. I've been told they can do nothing since their service is supossed to work over their own data network not over wifi. I'm definitely leaving Vodafone and BB. Since I'm an extensive google user (gmail, gtalk, maps, etc) I'm getting an Android with Yoigo (just 8€/month unlimited data plan). The only bad thing is loosing BBM, but that's better than wasting my time and money with Vodafone.

New Contributor
My Device: BOLD 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

sdgardne wrote:

Regarding that question...these forums are a user-to-user support channel, not a user-to-RIM conduit. As such, it is unlikely that they will see what you have written. Front line support for BB's is, by contract, not provided by RIM nor these forums. The carriers and authorized resellers are responsible for front line formal support to end users. It is possible to bypass your carrier and seek assistance direct from RIM, but such involves fees since you are bypassing your support agreement with your carrier. The "Support and Services" tab toward the top of these forum pages provide information about that. But, if you do go through your carrier for support, they can escalate into RIM at no fee to you if they so choose to.

Good luck!

sdgardne... absolutely.

The problem is that I've spent the last 3 hours at the telephone trying to explain to vodafone's "advanced" technical support what BIS is, what RIM is and what the problem is.

They have told me that (of course)  this is NOT a vodafone's problem, since I'm not using their network to reach BIS, and so far, they've given to me the BB customer support email for Spain... Smiley Sad

The other fact is that I know Blackberry - Vodafone Product Chief in Spain, who is in the problem since yesterday. I will tell you the progress on this as soon as I know something...

Stay tuned...

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

jorsan wrote:

They have told me that (of course)  this is NOT a vodafone's problem, since I'm not using their network to reach BIS, and so far, they've given to me the BB customer support email for Spain... Smiley Sad

Hello,

I'm not sure I understand why you chose a sad face to show -- what you describe is EXACTLY how the process is supposed to work. Regardless of the service being used on the BB, your carrier is responsible for formal front line support. Period.

If the front line carrier support folks can't help, they escalate to their internal BB support folks. If they can't help, they escalate into RIM. (Depending on the carrier, there may be more levels there.) It seems to me that everyone's dissatisfaction is better targeted at their carrier...but that's just my thoughts on the matter.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor
My Device: 8520

jorsan wrote:

[...] they've given to me the BB customer support email for Spain... Smiley Sad

The other fact is that I know Blackberry - Vodafone Product Chief in Spain, who is in the problem since yesterday. I will tell you the progress on this as soon as I know something...

Stay tuned...

Please, would you be so kind as to share that support email address?

Forums Advisor III
My Device: .
My Carrier: .

No e-mails are given out on our community forum based on the RIM Terms & Conditions of this site. The community is peer-to-peer and security (ie: spammers) is an important issue,

However, the users can give a PM of said e-mail to facilitate your needs.

Thanks for Understanding!

Jakoby4204                                                                                                 New to the Community click here  
Community Moderator
Likes2.png  AS3.png   CG2.png
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780

I too have experienced this exact issue since June 8th. I have been using BIS over wifi for the past six months without issue. This is a Vodafone issue, so the sad - smiley face is appropriate. The problem is, Vodafone - Spain is blocking the port that allows users the ability to access their BIS over wifi. When they block something intentional, this means it is their falt. It doesn't matter if you can access BIS via the mobile network or not. The way RIM and BIS are setup, is to allow users the ability to CHOOSE what type of connection they wish to use. If the user pays for a data plan, and that data plan is unlimited, and the user just so happens to have a wifi connection 'somewhere', they are allowed to pick what media transfer form they want to use. The intentional blocking of BIS over wifi is nothing more than a cheap way of getting your customers to utilize their data plans extensionally, in hopes to charge for extra data usage for those that don't have unlimited plans. Everywhere else on the planet that offers RIM and BIS for any mobile carrier, allows BIS over wifi. I have several colleagues that live in France, UK, Holland and Germany and they all have Vodafone with unlimited data plans for BIS. They ALL are able to use BIS over wifi. I was in Paris last week in our office, my colleague was connected to our corporate wifi as was I. His BIS over wifi worked fine, mine didn't. He has Vodafone, the same phone but has a plan in the UK. Anyone that tells you this isn't a Vodafone - Spain issue is either lying, or just clueless.