Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

normal wap data plan and wifi taking over

i have had my 8900 for a week and loving it, i keep finding questions to ask though.

Obviously i have a data plan for it, so i can down load things and make use of the full functions

I have also set it up to find and connect to my BT home hub router at home.

Im amazed how it picks it up so quickly, from the time i pull on the drive.

MY question is.    When im at home, when i go to download things, like apps use the browser.  does it automatically use my wifi connection to downlaod them and not the  data plan? ( i must admit it does seem quicker)

Developer

Re: normal wap data plan and wifi taking over

What carrier are you using?

I am on T-Mobile, the unlimited blackberry plan. That meana unilimited data. I can use the Wi-Fi for internet and calling no problem. But with T-Mobile even though I am using the Wi-Fi for phone calls if I do not sign up for the extra $9.99 unlimited Wi-Fi calling, I am still using my minutes when making calls on the Wi-Fi. 

Since the internet is unlimited, I use the Wi-Fi because it is faster than their EDGE network.

Contributor

im with Vodafone, yeah mine is unlimited data lan which you have to have.

All im after knowing is once my 8900 has picked up my wi-fi when im at home.  Does that take over the downloading rather than my 8900 using my data plan,  so therefor it downloads quicker etc? i mean with out me having to do anything.

Highlighted
Developer

As long as you have the WiFi logo lit up, you are on the Wi-Fi router. Smiley Happy
Contributor

thank you for the respones, yes it lights up white as soon as i pull up on my drive which im very impressed about.  thanks again
Developer

You're welcome Smiley Happy