Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Tour
My Carrier: Verizon

old blackberry messenger chat history

Hey guys, recently in january I had enabled my blackberry messenger chat history to be logged on my "device" and I had noticed that after a long conversation with the same person the older messages disappeared, is there ANY way to get them back or view them again, possibly from a recycle bin type thing? Or if worse came to worse is there any way i can contact RIMM personel to send me the chat history or anything like that? Its something that is very important to me.

Thank you all

Retired
My Device: 9000, 9500
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: old blackberry messenger chat history

Hi,

Depending on where you specified to save the conversations you can browse and open them on your PC. They are stored as a .csv file and can be opened in notepad or Microsoft Excel. To browse to your media card or device memory, connect your BlackBerry smartphone to your PC and open My computer.

Here you should see one or two drives that will appear called BlackBerry 1 and/or 2 click one and locate the folder called IM and then BlackBerry Messenger and the conversations are stored in here.

Thank you

-DrP

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
My Device: Tour Model 9630

Been using BB Messenger IM for 3 Yrs and love it; until recently.  A week ago I upgraded phone to Tour 9630.  Had no problems setting up new ph but somehow the new Messenger does not allow me to scroll back and look at an entire IM conversation (from beginning to end). 

For example, I started a conversation on Wed night and continued on Thurs morning.  But on Thursday morning I attempted to scroll back to the beginning of the Wed night conversation but was unable to get there.  Somehow I am only able to read (scroll back) to a certain point.  On my prior BB, I was able to have a 3-day conversation and on day 3, I could scroll all the way back to the beginning.

Any ideas on how to rectify this?  Any assitance is much appreciated.

Hastriter

Retired

Hello,

I would recommend turning on Save Message History. You can do this by going to BlackBerry Messenger application. Press the menu key (left of the trackball)>select Options and select where you want to Save Message History.

Once this is enabled you will be able to search and look through the history of your future conversations.

Thank you

-DrP

New Contributor
My Device: Tour Model 9630

DrP,

Thank you, but the Tour does not provide me with an option to "Save Message History" when following ur suggested path.  Listed below is what I see when following ur suggested path:

BB Messenger Application

Menu key

Options

a) Requests (password question or forwarding of requests)

b) Conversations (enter key to send, show conversations, group messages, or sort)

c) Status (allow on ph presence or allow Now playing presence)

d) Miscellaneous (vibrate when receiving a Ping)

Also, not sure if saving the history is necessary.  I just want to be able to scroll back and see the entire conversation.  I am not really interested in saving the conversations. 

I am wondering if there is a character limit, time limit, or another maximum setting for BB Messenger that is prohibiting me from scrolling back?

My example from last night was less than 18 hours of intermittent texting via BB Messenger.  Using my prior BB, I could scroll back and see an entire 3-day conversation.  Something has changed?

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Many thanks

Highlighted
Retired

Hello,

I would recommend updating the BlackBerry Messenger application by going to www.blackberry.com/messenger on your Browser on the BlackBerry smartphone.

To do this we would need to back up the BlackBerry smartphone. Please open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and connect your BlackBerry smartphone. Click on the Backup and Restore button and select Back Up. Now proceed with the update.

Test the BlackBerry smartphone after updating the BlackBerry messenger.

Thank you

-DrP

My Device: Storm 9500
My Carrier: Vodafone-Celcom

Hi,

I would like to know how can I download my old BB Messenger Chat History as I can't seem to locate it in the IM history folder.

It is empty. And there is an important chat history message I need to download for safekeeping.

Please help.

Thanks

Sumo

New Contributor
My Device: 9700 Bold
My Carrier: Vodafone

OK, so i have the latest version of blackberry software. 5.1.0.146 (latest). The problem however seems to have arised after I installed this version so it may just be a bug. I was able to previously view all of my contact history, which was good yet slow to load. However with this update now when I click, options and select view history all i get is the option to search history with a button saying find resutls. I type in previous words and even then nothing shows up, all it says is *Empty*. I have browsed through my media card and I can see the .im file there and the history is definately enabled...help plz???

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

BBPro_Owner wrote:

I have browsed through my media card and I can see the .im file there

can you open it?

Maybe with WordToGo?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
My Device: Not Specified

i got this problem too. very annoying Smiley Sad

save to "device" or "media card" doesnt work and i've free space on both