Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: airtel

phone cant start

the battery of my blackberry bold 9900 used to drain after few minutes of charging.then eventually it went off and could not start. so I bought a new battery but the phone stil cant start, not even a red light coming on.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: phone cant start

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain directly connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB, not a cradle):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain an known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem. Note carefully please that "new" and "know good" are not necessarily the same things. While rare, a "new" battery certainly could be defective. Rather, the simplest (and least costly, btw) method to conduct this test is to find someone with an identical BB who has no issues...trade batteries and see what happens.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Good morning,

I have just seen the message.thank you very much.Let me do what u have told me. I will let u know what happens.

am so depressed because my blackberry 9900 is only five months old.

New Contributor

GOOD AFTERNOON, I TRIED KICK STARTING MY BB 9900 USING THE 4H 15 MIN PROCESS AS YOU TLD ME.BUT MY PHONE STILL CANT TURN ON.I EVEN TRIED USING MY FRIENDS BATTER NOT THE BATTERY OR THE CHARGER, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.AS I TOLD YOU MY PHONE IS ONLY FIVE MONTHS OLD. I HAVE NEITHER DROPPED IT IN WATER OR ON THE GROUND BUT HOW CAN IT STOP WORKING SO SOON? PLEASE HELP!

New Contributor

WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY PHONE? PLEASE TELL ME AND LET ME KNOW HOW TO FIX IT!
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

Please stop yelling at me...

Please fully describe your results from the tests I already provided you. Among all of the CAPS, I cannot determine if you fully executed the battery swap or not.

Thanks.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

oh my God! am so sorry for writing in CAPS, I didnt know what it meant. I lack a skill in technology, because honestly how can I yell at somebody I dont even know! somebody am believing in for help.and I typed the message in a hurry, I didnt even realise the CAPS button was on.am sure you even noticed the mistakes I made, because didnt even read through.thanks for educating me.
Nevertheless, I also executed the battery swap and my battery worked in my friends phone but her battery didnt turn my phone on.thts why am very sure that its my phone with a problem but I dont know what the problem is.
thanks.
Hall of Famer III

mwenya wrote:
oh my God! am so sorry for writing in CAPS, I didnt know what it meant. I lack a skill in technology, because honestly how can I yell at somebody I dont even know! somebody am believing in for help.and I typed the message in a hurry, I didnt even realise the CAPS button was on.am sure you even noticed the mistakes I made, because didnt even read through.thanks for educating me.

No worries...it's actually been proven in multiple studies that the ability for the reader to comprehend all-caps (as well as punctuation-less "text speak") versus normal punctuation/caps is significantly reduced. It is actually very difficult for humans to read all caps messages and truly understand what the sender intended.

mwenya wrote:

Nevertheless, I also executed the battery swap and my battery worked in my friends phone but her battery didnt turn my phone on.thts why am very sure that its my phone with a problem but I dont know what the problem is.
thanks.

Ah, excellent...thank you. Given that result, it could possibly be hardware issue with your device, and is very unlikely that your battery is causal at all. But to truly deduce that, you will need to conduct more tests.

The first test is about how well your battery fits into the compartment...if it is loose at all, then try cutting a business card (it is important that the paper be thick enough) to the same size as your battery, and insert it between the battery and the back door of your device. Sometimes, doing so will press the battery in just a little bit more, but enough for the power leads to make proper contact.

The next test is to very carefully use a standard pencil eraser, and wipe the battery contacts in the battery compartment of your device. Sometimes, the leads become corroded with a thin film of material, that is enough to block the flow of electricity. A standard pencil eraser has been know to be able to clean that off and allow proper contact. Be very careful to not bend the leads, and also to not leave any eraser dust in the device.

The next test is more drastic, and assumes that neither of the above are a hardware-level cause (there are no further harware-level tests I know of that you can do), and therefore assumes it to be somehow OS related. The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Make sure you have a current and complete backup of your BB...you can find complete instructions via the link in my auto-sig below. (likely moot in your situation...if it will not boot up at all, then there is no way to take a backup.)

2) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

3) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

4) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

• http://us.blackberry.com/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp
  • It is sorted first by carrier -- so if all you want are the OS levels your carrier supports, your search will be quick. However, some carriers are much slower than others to release updates. To truly seek out the most up-to-date OS package for your BB, you must dig through and find all carriers that support your specific model BB, and then compare the OS levels that they support.

5) Delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Now, with those preparattion steps complete, attemt the use of these tricks. However, if any suggest using an Update Website or the Desktop Software, subsittute please LOADER.EXE, which is located at or nearby where you found (and deleted) VENDOR.XML:

Good luck and let us know!