Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

phone fell in toilet.. HELP please

my blackberry fell in the toilet face down, none of the water damage stickers changed color but when i tried putting in the battery back in it would not turn on. i have it in a bag of rice for now. any suggestions of what i should do? will warranty replace it since it doesn't show its water damaged?
Highlighted
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: phone fell in toilet.. HELP please

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Keep the battery out of the device. Keep the device in the rice for 4-5 days.

Keep the rice on a warm spot, top of a stereo, PC monitor etc.

After you feel it is complety dried out, put the battery back in.

If it boots, run do not walk to the desktop manager and get a good backup

if you don't have one. The rice does work, several of the experts here swear by it.

Including one who's Berry went for a porcelain swim just like yours!

Best of luck to you, let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

Bifocals

Message Edited by Bifocals on 01-29-2009 01:23 AM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Please note that your phone electronics could be damaged when it was wet and you pulled back the battery to the phone.
New Contributor

I can relate a story that worked for a friend of mine.  He dropped his phone (not BB) in the wash basin, and it would turn on but the screen was all messed up.  We took the battery out and left the phone under the hood of my car--in a not-too-hot place--and went to a baseball game for 3 or 4 hours.  When we got back we fired up the phone, and it worked perfectly!  No problems since and it's been about a year.  So a good drying seemed to do the trick.
New Contributor

hello i'm new to the forum

my storm fell in salt water at the beach .I opened it up cleaned it out and turned it on of coarse this was awhile afetr it fell into the water...i got it to turn on and boot up but it won't stay on.....any suggestions?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Dre_ja_cayman wrote:

hello i'm new to the forum

my storm fell in salt water at the beach .I opened it up cleaned it out and turned it on of coarse this was awhile afetr it fell into the water...i got it to turn on and boot up but it won't stay on.....any suggestions?

Hi and Welcome to the forums!

If you have not yet done so, run (do not walk) to the instructions given earlier in the thread. Do that. All of it. And keep your expectations low concerning getting your BB to ever work again -- some have had success, but I'd say they are in the minority.

Good luck.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Forums Advisor II
My Device: 9550 Storm2/Verizon
My Carrier: Verizon

Perhaps this will sound absolutely bizarre but for your salt water logged BB the problem will be the salt and not the water.  The water damage has been done.  It goes without saying that the battery should be out and stay out until there is absolutely no chance of moisture being in the device.

A fresh water dunking is one thing but salt adds a corrosion aspect to the problem.  Were it MY instrument and I knew that it had been well and truly dunked in salt water I would dunk in it distilled water (with no battery of course).  The procedure with the rice will remove moisture but not the salt content.

I would want every bit of the salt out of the device.  Salt is hygroscopic and will be a silent source of corrosion if not totally removed.  You already have water in the instrument.

Rinse in the distilled water and then follow the general "water" recovery steps.  Rice is a desiccant and will absorb moisture.  If there is any hope for your BB it lies in removing all the moisture before applying power.

Наглый пес! Вы должны быть благодарны мы даем Вам возможность проживать в нашем мире!
BB 9550 Verizon OS 5.0.0.1015 My Storm My Blackberry My Lifeline
If there is a Theme on my Blackberry, Hedone it!
If someone successfully helped you with an issue, say thank you by clicking "kudos" in their post and clicking the star.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry curve 8520
My Carrier: vodafone essar

what about the warranty

Forums Advisor II
My Device: 9550 Storm2/Verizon
My Carrier: Verizon

Water damage is not covered under warranty. Insurance yes, but water damage is not a manufacturers defect.
Наглый пес! Вы должны быть благодарны мы даем Вам возможность проживать в нашем мире!
BB 9550 Verizon OS 5.0.0.1015 My Storm My Blackberry My Lifeline
If there is a Theme on my Blackberry, Hedone it!
If someone successfully helped you with an issue, say thank you by clicking "kudos" in their post and clicking the star.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
If your issue has been solved, please mark the post that solved it for you!
New Contributor
My Device: 9780 Tmobile
My Carrier: t mobile

pls i need help,my bb fell into toliet,i immediatly switched it off and allowed it to dry,i put it on after some hour,it went on but the buttons re not working properly,while some re not not working atall,if i press del it will type pppppp