Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: blackberry curve 8520 v5.0.0.1036
My Carrier: smart

plan vs. wifi

are there certain limitations as to connectivity or something whenever your just using wifi connections compared to that of a plan???  i only connect through internet using wifi... is it a reason why i cant set.up an email account to my bb??

Developer
My Device: PlayBook & STL100-1 LE Z10 & Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Telefonica Spain

Re: plan vs. wifi

I have same question. I dont have money for a plan at this moment.

Any Limitations ?

Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Leandro Cerdan - Duantox Apps
BlackBerry Elite dev
TapyHold, Built for Blackberry multimedia scrapbook
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

leihra wrote:

are there certain limitations as to connectivity or something whenever your just using wifi connections compared to that of a plan???  i only connect through internet using wifi... is it a reason why i cant set.up an email account to my bb??

Hello,

With BlackBerry devices, there are many services that are proprietary to BBs only, and require an adequate data plan (from your mobile service provider) to use them...and that plan is required to be in place regardless of the channel you use to access the services (e.g., WiFi versus carrier data network). These proprietary services include email, BBM, and in some cases even web browsing and social networking.

So, in your example, if you do not have an adequate BB-specific data plan from your carrier, then you cannot use email, even if you are accessing via WiFi...the service is still required in order for email to function. On BB, the client on the device is not a full email client -- rather, it works in conjunction with the carrier/BlackBerry hosted service called BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS)...lacking access to the service (since you have no data plan), the email client on the BB is useless.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

blackqtcoder wrote:

I have same question. I dont have money for a plan at this moment.

Any Limitations ?

Thanks.

Hello,

Your situation is different...you did not state in your post what device you are using, but you show in your profile "BB10 Alpha Device", which would be a BB10-level device. BB10 eliminates the requirement for BIS, and functions via a generic data plan from carriers, not requiring a BIS-level plan (indeed, on some carriers, it is reported that even having a BIS plan actually prevents proper functions on BB10 devices). For email, the on-device client is ActiveSync, and does not rely on any carrier/BlackBerry hosted services to function.

So your situation is different...and you might be able to function via WiFi, at least for email. I'm not sure however if you will be able to use BBM without at least a generic data plan from a carrier, though.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................