Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Bold 9700

please HELP! wi-fi connection

hi all,

this has so frustrating, you cannot imagine.

i have my 5th 9700 in my hand within 2 weeks. i had the same problem with each of them: when trying to connect to wireless networks, i get the same error message: failed to obtain an ip address. in status, it also shows that the ip address is 0.0.0.0

i have tried it on several networks, tried to set up the connection manually, nothing worked. one time, i was on the phone with vodafone's tech support for 2 hours, and we couldn't sort it out.

if you have any suggestions, please help.

thanks a million,

robby

Solutions: 6,376
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: please HELP! wi-fi connection

Have you tried connecting to a different WiFi router?

Could you connect at the carrier retail store -- After four previous device, I am hoping you made sure it worked before walking out with more?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: Bold 9700

i tried various networks and hubs.

the thing is, i upgraded online, so they would not exchange it in a store. but today i stormed in and wanted to have it sent for repair (a 3 day old device...) and finally they exchanged it there. but since the store has no bloody wi-fi, i had no choice but to walk out without seeing it working...

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: ATT

I just got my phone today 9700 and have tried every which way to connect to my home wifi.... I get the response can't connect.... How else can i get the wifi to connect or will it just not connect with my CISCO router?  

thanks! 

My Device: 9700
My Carrier: T-mobile

Ran into the same issue recently..I was able to get my new BB 9700 to connect to my home wireless router (Linksys) using the following steps:

Wireless Router:

1. Log into your wireless router, verify the "Wireless SSID Broadcast" is enabled under the Wireless tab.

2. Disable the "Wireless MAC Filter under the Wireless tab if it's enabled.

3. Depending on your selected router Security Mode, write down the "Shared Key" for WEP, WPA, WPA-2 etc.

Note: This key has a max length of  64 characters on your router, if you find your router shared key uses all 64              

characters, delete one to make it 63 characters..Your BB 9700 shared key has a max length of 63 characters

which you'll need later.

BB 9700 phone:

1. Recommend rebooting phone first before continuing

2. Turn Wi-Fi on in the Manage Connections folder.

2. Go to Settings folder and select "Set Up Wi-Fi"

3. Select "Scan For Networks" - This will start searching available wireless networks

4. Select your "Available Wi-Fi Networks"

5. Under the Wi-Fi Security screen, the security type should automatically be selected WEP, Pre-Shared Key (PSK) etc

6. Enter the Shared Key from the router above..

Note: I emailed the shared key to my BB and copy and paste into field.

7. Select Connect.

If all goes well, you should receive "Connection Sucessful!"  Save Profile and you should be on your way..

Note: the UMA .... in the top right hand corner of your phone will indicate your connected thru a wireless network. 

Visitor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700

hi there blkdog,

i ran into some issues lately. was wondering if you have any such experience.

i got my wifi connected via the method you stated below. got the message "Connection Successful" and save profile etc..

but even though i am in a wireless zone and connected to that profile, the bb wifi sign at the top right of the screen says that i'm not in a wifi zone.

any ideas?

thanks

alex