12-15-2009 03:26 PM
this has so frustrating, you cannot imagine.
i have my 5th 9700 in my hand within 2 weeks. i had the same problem with each of them: when trying to connect to wireless networks, i get the same error message: failed to obtain an ip address. in status, it also shows that the ip address is 0.0.0.0
i have tried it on several networks, tried to set up the connection manually, nothing worked. one time, i was on the phone with vodafone's tech support for 2 hours, and we couldn't sort it out.
if you have any suggestions, please help.
thanks a million,
12-15-2009 03:44 PM
Have you tried connecting to a different WiFi router?
Could you connect at the carrier retail store -- After four previous device, I am hoping you made sure it worked before walking out with more?
PIN: C0001B7B4 Display/Scan Bar Code
PIN: C0005A9AA Display/Scan Bar Code
12-15-2009 03:58 PM
i tried various networks and hubs.
the thing is, i upgraded online, so they would not exchange it in a store. but today i stormed in and wanted to have it sent for repair (a 3 day old device...) and finally they exchanged it there. but since the store has no bloody wi-fi, i had no choice but to walk out without seeing it working...
12-17-2009 09:50 PM
I just got my phone today 9700 and have tried every which way to connect to my home wifi.... I get the response can't connect.... How else can i get the wifi to connect or will it just not connect with my CISCO router?
12-24-2009 07:57 PM
Ran into the same issue recently..I was able to get my new BB 9700 to connect to my home wireless router (Linksys) using the following steps:
1. Log into your wireless router, verify the "Wireless SSID Broadcast" is enabled under the Wireless tab.
2. Disable the "Wireless MAC Filter under the Wireless tab if it's enabled.
3. Depending on your selected router Security Mode, write down the "Shared Key" for WEP, WPA, WPA-2 etc.
Note: This key has a max length of 64 characters on your router, if you find your router shared key uses all 64
characters, delete one to make it 63 characters..Your BB 9700 shared key has a max length of 63 characters
which you'll need later.
BB 9700 phone:
1. Recommend rebooting phone first before continuing
2. Turn Wi-Fi on in the Manage Connections folder.
2. Go to Settings folder and select "Set Up Wi-Fi"
3. Select "Scan For Networks" - This will start searching available wireless networks
4. Select your "Available Wi-Fi Networks"
5. Under the Wi-Fi Security screen, the security type should automatically be selected WEP, Pre-Shared Key (PSK) etc
6. Enter the Shared Key from the router above..
Note: I emailed the shared key to my BB and copy and paste into field.
7. Select Connect.
If all goes well, you should receive "Connection Sucessful!" Save Profile and you should be on your way..
Note: the UMA .... in the top right hand corner of your phone will indicate your connected thru a wireless network.
01-02-2010 10:47 PM
hi there blkdog,
i ran into some issues lately. was wondering if you have any such experience.
i got my wifi connected via the method you stated below. got the message "Connection Successful" and save profile etc..
but even though i am in a wireless zone and connected to that profile, the bb wifi sign at the top right of the screen says that i'm not in a wifi zone.